Canon 5D Mark II + Flycam nano Dslr & FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by IndieChimp, Feb 9, 2012.

1. IndieChimp macrumors newbie

I ran a little test with a flycam nano Dslr & my canon 5d as I'm shooting a music video in a few days ...

To have an optimal workflow in FCP using Canon 5D footage you need to convert your .mov's to "apple prores 442" with compressor.

It's only a very short test flight as it was raining outside so I only had a bit of space to fly through. I used Magic Bullet plugin in FCP for some fast & easy color correction:
    Watch on Youtube

More tests coming soon ...

2. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Looks great. Definitely makes a huge difference. How much practice time have you had flying? I've tried a bit with a merlin and could never really get the right weight setup.

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

So you're here promoting you brand new youtube account. Poor form....

4. atjames macrumors newbie

waaaa. Who cares.

Great video man.

5. WRP macrumors 6502a

People who don't like spam. I'm glad you enjoyed it since it had little to no value.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Do you pull focus at all when flying? That's the only thing I would be worried about.

Looks like it's not quite balanced yet and leans slightly to the left.

7. Boisv macrumors regular

Just so you know...

You actually don't need Compressor at all to do that. Whether you're using FCP7 (or earlier) or FCPX, you can do it right in Final Cut.

If you're using FCPX, the program will transcode for you in the background. I believe you just choose your transcode format when you import the footage.

It sounds like you're using FCP7. In that case, just select all the media in your bin(s), and click (I believe it's) file>media manager. Media manager will give you the option to recompress the footage into any codec without ever leaving Final Cut. I've found that it's faster. Compressor always moves slow for me so I avoid it whenever I can.

However, if you have to edit one project while another transcodes, either Compressor or MPEG Streamclip is the way to go.

I hope this helps shave some time off of your workflow.

8. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Looks awesome!

Did you set your focus to infinity?
    It seems unfocused in some parts.

Also it's way more stable, but I think you could tweak the weights to get it slightly better!

Best of luck!

:)