Canon 5D Mark III: CF and SDXC cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nghix123, Apr 30, 2012.

1. nghix123 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

As some of you may know the 5DM3 now has dual memory card slots (CF and SDXC). I was wondering if anyone knew how to set one card to captures RAW files while the other captures JPEG? Seems like you can only set it to capture one type of format at one time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You can't have looked that hard? :p There's two relevant menu options... the first item on the first menu screen "Image quality", and the first item on the first wrench screen "Record func+card". Set the latter to "Rec. Separately" and then use the first to decide which card gets which quality/type :)

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I agree that this was actually a little difficult to figure out and not intuitive. I have no clue why canon put the options to control recording of the cards not only on two different screens but in two totally different parts of the menu system. However, as Virtual Rain noted, you need to choose "record separately" for the cards and then go into the image size menu option separately to specify which cards to record which sizes (ie CF card records RAW images while SD card records JPEGs)

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

You can also quickly change them on the fly by using the "Q" button which brings up the QuickMenu where you can adjust many of your camera settings related directly to picture taking. You can change your setting from there as well. Just use the joystick (multi-controller) to move to wherever you want, hit the set button and make your changes then hit the set button again.

5. nghix123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you guys. I appreciate the help. Knew I can always count on members on this forum! :)