canon 600D uv lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by salacious, Feb 4, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

Ok so after a previous thread i started i decided to go with the 600D as it suits my needs well, im getting it with the kit lens, now i heard that when shooting video outside (which is almost only what il be using it for) that i need a uv lens? what is the purpose and if you use one what effect does it give and do you have a video of it?

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

It's a UV filter, not a lens and nowadays i would argue that you don't see much difference in using or not using it. A lot of people use it to protect the front element on their lenses because it is cheaper to buy a new UV filter (protector) instead of having the front element of the lens replaced.

UV filters are anywhere from dirt cheap to quite pricey, you get what you pay for though. Some of the cheaper UV filters actually degrade image quality. Personally I would say on the kit lens you don't need one. It's cheap enough that if something happens, you can replace the entire lens. If you would have an L glass it would be a different story.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

UV filters are no longer necessary because the sensor has its own UV/IR filter. now they're only used to protect the front element, though whether they actually do is up for debate.

if you decide to buy one, don't buy a cheap one. buy a multi-coated one.

4. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a