canon 600d vs 60d

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fc0712, Oct 14, 2011.

1. fc0712 macrumors regular

2. simsaladimbamba

3. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

That depends on a lot of things:
    (1) What is your budget?
    (2) What is that budget supposed to cover?
    (3) Do you already own lenses? And if so, which ones?
    (4) What do you do with the camera? Are you an ambitious amateur?

4. fc0712 thread starter macrumors regular

(1) What is your budget? = i don't know yet i am just saving up.
    (2) What is that budget supposed to cover?
    a good camera i can use in a longer time, if you have some cons about the 600 d if could be nice to know
    (3) Do you already own lenses? And if so, which ones?
    not anyone right now
    (4) What do you do with the camera? Are you an ambitious amateur?
    just taking photos, and learn to use dslr better :)
    and i want to be a better photographer

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

As with every hobby, you should be realistic about a budget. If you have to start from scratch, you need to be aware that there are a few must haves that need to be included in the budget, e. g. a proper camera bag (if you spend $$$ or $$$$, don't try to save $$ on a bag!), lens cleaners, batteries, etc. Once you come up with a realistic budget (just think about when you want to have the camera and how much money you can put aside each month), we can give you more specific recommendations.

But I would like to get one piece of advice across: You should invest in lenses and not a body. Especially newbies tend to do the opposite: they spend a lot of money on a body and then put a crappy lens on it. In many cases, the sensors are shared between different different camera models, e. g. the Nikon D80 had the same sensors as the more expensive D200. In your case, the 60D shares the sensor with the 600D, 550D and 7D. This means you can get the same image quality with a 550D as with a 7D that is a lot more expensive (for good reason, though!).

Since you don't own any lenses yet, any reason why you're fixated on Canon? I would not rely on reviews to choose a brand, I would go to a camera store and try different cameras. How they feel in your hand is ultimately a lot more important than a perceived advantage in a test or 0.3 fps difference in burst speed.

6. fc0712 thread starter macrumors regular

ok but i have heard that the 600 d got a plastic feeling

7. fc0712 thread starter macrumors regular

in my country the 600d is 960 $, and the 60 d is 1300$

8. JRSAHLBERG macrumors newbie

With the kit lens? They usually come with different lens, 600D with 18-55mm and 60D with 18-135mm...

9. fc0712 thread starter macrumors regular

10. fc0712 thread starter macrumors regular

11. fc0712 thread starter macrumors regular

12. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

absolutely NOT - save your money, get the 600D - they have the EXACT same sensor - meaning the will produce the exact SAME images

plastic feel you ask? who cares, unless you plan on throwing it on the ground or shooting in the rain/snow/monsoon - it really doesn't matter - especially not for a beginner. Some people are just snobby and don't like a "plastic feel" For me personally, a "feel" ain't worth an extra 300USD

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

DigitalRev did a video not too long ago comparing the D70 to the 450D in terms of how durable they were. Both survived being used as shoes, burned by a blow torch, used as a hammer, and hit by a soccer ball. By the end, the kit lens for the 450D cracked slightly, but the image quality wasn't effected. So although they may feel plasticky, durability isn't an issue.

14. Jazzy Jase macrumors newbie

I have a 60D and my wife has a 550D, which I believe is almost identical to the 600D, except the flip screen.

The 60D is a better camera, but in small ways that might not be noticeable by someone new to photography. For instance, the extra screen and buttons on the top of the camera are really handy.

With the same lens I cannot tell the difference in image quality between the two.

The 60D is better built. It's also MUCH heavier. My wife cannot carry it around all day and much prefers her 550D.

The battery on the 60D lasts roughly twice as long as the 550D (I don't know which battery the 600D uses).

There's lots of other little differences between the two (better viewfinder, faster burst shooting), but I have to agree that you need to work inside your budget and lenses are more important that the body. Having used the 18-55 kit lens I would definitely recommend getting a better general purpose lens with Ultrasonic focussing. It's much faster and means I don't miss as many shots. Also, you'll quickly find you want/need to buy a telephoto lens so take the cost of that into consideration too.