Canon 60d and lense advice (15-85mm usm)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ADAADW, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ADAADW macrumors member

Hey there

I'm currently looking at getting into photography (some video) and am looking at the canon 60d + 15-85mm lens kit. I know that the 60d is not a perfect camera but it seems like a decent body to start off with. Ive also read that the 15-85 lens from Canon is excellent quality (close to L glass). If there is any input about the camera and lens as to why or why not to buy it that would be a big help.

Thanks for the help!

2. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

As a combo they're a great set the 60D is a good camera for amateurs and starters.

Happy snapping.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The 60D is great and I've heard the same things as you about the quality of the 15-85. However, the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM is also a killer piece of glass for the EFS mount. It's worthy of consideration, if you haven't already.

4. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

And if that Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM priced around 1.100$ that VirtualRain mentioned is too expensive, you could go for a Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 (the non Vibration Correction version) for around 400$. It's just as sharp as the Canon, doesn't have IS but still gives your zoom lens the constant f/2.8 low light performance.

5. ADAADW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Hey thanks everyone thats some great advice i might look at some canon alternatives for the lens. Is there any place you know of that has the best price on the body or kit? (physical/online store). Also ive heard that usually around Sept and Jan there is usually new models and price drops would this apply to the 60d do you think?

Thanks again the help is much appreciated!

6. fauja macrumors newbie

I went with the 7D and the 17-50mm Tamron lens. I love the lens for photos, BUT YOU MUST BEWARE that non image stabilized (vibration control for Tamron) lenses are terrible for video. I hadn't considered this at the time of purchase and really wish I had known about as I would have definitely spent a little more on a lens with IS. If you are going to leave the lens on a tripod then it is fine, but if you move the camera around at all then the video is very shaky and jerky and at times hardly watchable.

Another point; don't have any qualms about starting with the 60D. It's a great camera and I would highly emphasize that a good lens is more important than the camera body. Camera bodies constantly change with new features, and resolution, and frame rates, and, and, and... but a good lens will stay with you for a lifetime and is much more important in the quality, sharpness, and contrast of the photo than the body.

Happy shooting, I'm sure you'll love the 60D...

7. fauja macrumors newbie

I ended up buying my kit at B&H last August. They had a special on the body and if you purchased the body then you got a $50 rebate on the Tamron lens and Canon had a $400 mail in rebate on the Canon Pixma photo printer which was on sale for $380!!! YES, they essentially paid me $20 to buy a printer :D:D:D

I just checked BH and Canon is still offering the $400 printer rebate, but the price is $450, and the kit you are looking for is $1,199, but is currently out of stock :(
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732048-REG/Canon_4460B004_EOS_60D_DSLR_Camera.html

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I have T1i and use the Canon 15-85 as my walk around lens.
    It truly is a multi-purpose lens, covers the wide angle and going to 85mm gives some reach when needed.

Before you buy a f2.8 lens make sure you are aware how B-I-G and H-E-A-V-Y they are.

Since you are just "getting into photography" constant aperture f2.8 lens are much bigger than you realize.

My advice:
    Go to a local hi-end camera shop and get your hands on one of the f2.8 lens mentioned in this thread before you buy sight unseen.

Good luck and welcome to photography.

9. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

B&H Photo is were I get all my camera and video gear.

I was between the Canon 15-85 and the Canon 17-55 as well. I love the constant aperture on the 17-55, BUT I just can't pay that kind of price for a lens that, for my needs, has a small focal range. I really wanted something a little more wide, and longer. The 15-85 meets those needs, and at a better price point. The money saved I would put toward the Tokina 11-16.

By the way, I shoot video almost exclusively.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Check Adorama... they are one of the best online retailers for camera gear (along with B&H Photo/Video) and often have factory refurbished gear with full warranty support which can save a bit more of your hard-earned money.

11. '73-B macrumors regular

I went with the 60d and 15-85 combo and it's terrific! I considered the Canon 17-55 and the Sigma 17-50, but my past experience with the 15-85 swayed me. The extra few mm on the wide end make a big difference for the type of photos I take, the downside of course is the 15-85 does not have the constant F2.8 aperature.

I bought the 60d with the 18-200 lens kit for $1199 on amazon (that includes a $100 instant rebate from canon). I also bought the EF-S 55-200 lens for $161 (also after a $50 instant rebate for buying the lens with the camera kit). I also bought the Pixma 9000 for $449.99. I sold the the 18-200 lens, the 55-250 lens, and the Pixma all on Amazon and netted $527, $150 and $172 respectively after Amazon fees and shipping costs. I also took advantage of the $400 mail in rebate on the Pixma. My total cost for the 60d body came out to $543.

I don't know if the instant rebate promotion is still going, but it might be worth checking out. I probably went overboard with working various angles to get the price down but I was replacing a stolen T2i with 15-85 lens and needed to keep the total price down.

12. ed2485 macrumors newbie

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Wow, you did all that finagling in just one day? Whenever I try to sell anything, it takes days if not weeks.

14. '73-B macrumors regular

Not quite all in one day. Everything was purchased at the same time. As soon as I placed the order I listed all of things I was going to sell in Amazon. Everything was sold and shipped within a week of placing the original order. To be honest, I was shocked it worked out so easily.

15. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

If I were you I'd go with a 50D and get the 17-55mm 2.8 lens which is much better than the 15-85, in my opinion.