Canon 60D issue - horizontal banding on dark colours

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Schtumple, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Schtumple, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

So, I recently upgraded from a 550d to the 60d, and one of the first things I noticed is that whenever shooting something, 1-2 pixel thick stripes appear horizontally along dark patches of photos, it's also on any other large patch of singular colour, but it's most noticeable along dark patches.

I never had this with my 550d, can anyone with a 60d confirm whether they have this? Tempted to ask for replacement as it's getting very frustrating as I shoot a lot of long exposure night shots.

Here's an example from a long exposure shot I took tonight:

[​IMG]

Of note, it appears in both RAW and jpeg shots, has nothing to do with what ISO setting I have on, no amount of changed settings seems to fix this.

JUST TO ITERATE, THIS ISSUE SEEMS TO ONLY BE AFFECTING MY CAMERA, NO ONE ELSES, THE 60D IS STILL A GREAT CAMERA

2. Smurfed macrumors regular

3. petjuli macrumors newbie

http://www.flickr.com/groups/eos50d/discuss/72157617560665991/

Best I can tell you are waiting for a firmware fix, although it seems odd they would have fixed it on the 50D and reintroduced the same issue with the 60D. You're probably a lot better off asking the same question at dpreview or fredmiranda, there are a lot more uber photography nerds that can help you. Good luck!

4. jabbott macrumors 6502

Try grabbing the latest 60D firmware update here and see if it helps...

5. Schtumple, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ugh, I feel incredibly stupid for not checking there was new firmware, I'm on 1.0.5... current is 1.0.8.

From what I've read elsewhere the firmware update doesn't fix anything however, which is a bit frustrating, will update and see.

6. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Is this an issue on all 60Ds?

I'm in the market for a new camera, and due to some Christmas things that may force me to go Canon, I'm considering the 60D (was previously set on the D90, and the 60D is the most similar to the D90 in the Canon line which is ****ing pathetic considering it costs at least $200 more). So, I really do hope this doesn't affect all of them.

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

I have a 60D as well, and I haven't noticed anything like that on my images. Maybe you have something defective in yours.

8. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

Updating the firmware has pretty much fixed the banding issue, it's still there, but you really REALLY have to look for it now, it's only on exceptionally dark parts in the image where it's more from super low light than anything else. I still maintain the 60d is the best Canon DSLR on the market in terms of features/value for money.

9. jabbott macrumors 6502

Cool - glad it helped out. You might want to consider complaining to Canon if it still doesn't seem completely right... especially while it is still under warranty.

10. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

I've looked around, it looks like virtually every DSLR manufacturer is suffering this issue in some form or another... Lot's of Nikons have this, I doubt Canon would do anything, just fob me off saying to restore firmware.

11. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

My Nikon D90 doesn't have this. The images coming out of my camera are very clean clean. I just did a bunch of night exposures and not a hint of banding. There is a bit of rolling shutter doing video, but that's another story.

I was actually thinking of selling my D90 and replacing it with a Canon 60D, but I think after reading your post, I'll hold off. Maybe the Nikon D7000? I'm more into the video features of the camera and want to get 1080P out of it. I wish my D90 would go up to 1080 because it's an awesome camera and I'd love to keep it.

12. Schtumple, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

D90 Banding Issue

D7000 Banding Issue

A lot of cameras have this issue. The 60D is a great camera, my friend with a 60D doesn't have this issue in the slightest, so it does seem to just be my camera that's got a problem, don't assume a single post on a forum equals a wide spread problem.

EDIT: Canon emailed me back asking me to take my camera in to a repair centre, so my guess is this is an extremely rare case.

13. Smurfed macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd advise you to get yours to canon.

I pixel peep'd my images from my 60D and I don't have any banding on dark areas at all.

14. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

My only problem is my nearest Canon centre is about 150 miles away, seems a bit ridiculous I'd have to travel all that way, just to drop off my camera, then come back in a few days time... I've asked if I can dispatch my camera via mail or something instead.