Canon 60D or 7D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hdsalinas, May 19, 2011.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

I have been given the responsability to aquire a new camera, lenses and flash for our comunications department.

We have a quarterly magazine and other printed material that we put out regularly. We want to add video clips for our website, so HD video is a must. We mostly shoot (with the camara only :) ) people, factories, training, seminars and dinner events - no sports or fast action scenes.

I have narrowed my choices to Canon 60D or 7D. Bothe are far better than the sony DSC-H50 that we now use. I am thinking on getting the 7D but I I dont like that it uses CF card as opposed the 60D. We already have a couple of sd cards and are easier to transfer to our iMac and other computer that already have a sd slot. I have had an experience with a bent pin in the past when using CF card and would hate to go through it again.

Also the 60D has a "vari-angle" LCD screen that would be very useful.

So which one would you recomend. I basically want the 7D with these two features...

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i just made that choice and went for the 60D.

the 7d has some nice features but nothing that warrants the £400 odd price difference in my mind.

also the display on the 60d is lovely to use. i thought i would never use such a gimmick but i have not had a time where i haven't used it.

my recommendation is to get the 60D and spend the money you save on a nice L series lens.

3. kokako macrumors regular

Both are cropped (crippled) so go 60D

7D is nice has some features that my 5dmkii doesn't have but it's not Full Frame, which is a huge deal for me so if I were to buy a cropped sensor DSLR it would be the 60D over the 7D because spec-wise they're very similar but that LCD swivel monitor on the 60D is the dealbreaker, it's newer tech too and isn't built of metal which is a good thing I think because the 5dmkii and 7d are heavy, for video 60D probably the best just wish it was full frame.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The key differences the 7D has over the 60D are the focus system, the higher FPS on stills, the weather sealed body, and the wireless flash trigger. It doesn't sound like any of these are features you'll really miss assuming you don't shoot in harsh weather a lot.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

I've been using a 60D for the past 6 months and have really enjoyed it.

6. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

For me, the biggest (actually, the only) reason I didn't upgrade to a 60D is because it uses SD cards instead of CF. It's kind of a slap-in-the-face for any semi-pro/ pros/ students who want to upgrade from an older camera (I've got a 40D) without making the jump to a pro body like the 7D.

So just keep that in mind. If you think you'll be upgrading to the single digit cameras I'd personally take the hit and get the 7D.

7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I've got a 40D (still a great camera) and I wish it used SD cards. I find it so much easier to just pop the SD card into my laptop's SD card slot... rather than having to get the card reader and plug it into the laptop then plug the CF card into the card reader. Just more convenient for me.

8. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

ok - so the T3i has swivel panel and wireless flash trigger, so if then 60D vs T3i.....(not to throw another body in the mix)

here's a good article on Choosing between the T3i Canon, T2i, 60D and 7D
    http://www.canont3icamera.com/t3i-canon.shtml

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Thanks for the link. Great comparison. Looking at the T3i but the 60D is tempting. Pretty sure on the T3i though.