Canon 60D vs Nikon D7000

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bluap84, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bluap84 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys...long time no post!

Some of you may know i was looking at a camera. Most of you pointed me to a 60D. But being a old Nikon user i decided to look for a equivlent? Which seems to be the D7000.

How ever, as ill be filming sport, snowboarding / mountain bike - i think ill need the highest framerate i could get, which is the Canon 60D which has 60fps @ 720 which is fine for me. But its photo taking abilities for sport isnt as good as the Nikons, but the nikon only has 24fps through out he HD range.

So...question..to all you sport video dudes or people in the know...would i really benifit from 60fps? Or would this only be good for slow mo etc? I mean looking back on my gopro stuff which is all filmed @ 720-60fps - do i really need slow mo? I guess its good to have it...?

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

If you are planning to mix the footage with the GoPro, I would get the Canon (or something else that can do 30/60fps) as mixing 24/60fps won't look as good and probably result in jerkiness.

I actually got a 600d to take on holiday after seeing your thread (chose over the 60d as it does digital zoom and has more control over the audio) and the quality is a big improvement over my Canon HV30. Which ever way you go I would get a lens with image stabilisation if you are using without a tripod (or some other stabilisation device).

3. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Personally I would go for the Canon, I don't have much filming experience but I own a Canon 7D myself and I can't fault it.

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Canon still has the edge when it comes to video. I've been a Nikon user for over 15 years, but my next purchase is going to be the 60D. Plus, you can get $100 off until the 3rd of September!

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Don't the Nikon's have a full metal chassis? Durability figures into it for me...

I've got a T2i and it's so plastic.

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you don't need to have better video options and need durability, then yes, the Nikon is the better camera. But, the 60D is more rugged and professional "feeling" than the T2i cameras. However, for the price, you get more video features than the Nikon. If you want the best video options along with durability, the price point shoots waaaay up. We're talking thousands of dollars vs hundreds. The Nikon D7000 favors durability with a partial metal housing in exchange of limited video capabilities that the Canon provides. The Canon 60D favors video capability, but it doesn't have a metal body. I prefer to have features over durability because I don't plan on taking my camera to the desert or Amazon any time soon.

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Until the EOS 1000/Rebel XS came out that one was the entry level DSLR, so you would expect plastic. Don't judge Canons whole range based on one of their cheapest.

8. sth macrumors 6502a

The D7000 has metal top and bottom plates. The bigger Nikons (and Canons) have an all metal chassis, the smaller ones are all plastic.

True, Canon's entry-level cameras don't feel that great but they are actually very durable.

The 60D has the same big grip and also the same surface coating as the bigger cameras, so it doesn't feel all that different to them (just not as cold to the touch).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry that much about durability, these cameras are all pretty tough compared to other consumer electronics.
    What's way more important is stuff like ergonomics or if already have an existing Canon or Nikon system.

In terms of features, I think the D7000 is the better deal overall.
    If video is a priority, I'd probably go for the 60D.