Canon 60D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Forensic, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Forensic macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Canon 60D DSLR Camera? I am looking to upgrade from a Canon 40D (Which I got about 4-5 years ago). I want to stay with canon as I really love my current camera. I can get a kit right now with a 18-200mm lens and a few extras for around $1200. I already have a potential buyer for my 40D so I would just have to add the difference. I know the camera has been out for a while but it seems to have most of what I am looking for in a camera.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
    Steve

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I have a 60D myself and love it!
    When reading the reviews many people seemed to think it was a downgrade from the camera it replaced (i forget the name) but i find it to be just right.
    So much lighter than a 7D, a real bonus for your neck if carrying it around all day.

in terms of comparison to a 40D im not sure as ive never used one.

My biggest gripe with the 60D is to change shooting mode you have to depress a button in the middle of the dial. Its there to stop you accidentally changing modes but instead it quickly becomes a pain in the bum.

Here is a good review of it: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-60D-DSLR-Camera-Review.aspx

The last line sums it up: "The bottom line is that the Canon EOS 60D turns in very good performance, has great image quality and comes in a very affordable package. It is a camera that many of us will be happy to own."

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Before recommending any cameras, I think we should first find out what OP likes to shoot, and wants to shoot with the gear.

4. Forensic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. As far as what I shoot, I am a "casual" user right now if you will. I love photographing cars, my fiancee, nature.....nothing advanced like motorsports or weddings although that might be an eventual goal. My 40D took some great shots but I want to upgrade. I am also interested in Web Design so I would do some photo work for local businesses. Maybe an easier way to put it is a good all around camera.

Thanks!
    Steve

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

well in that case, why do you want to upgrade? Spend that bling on some better lenses, like a wide aperture for low light

6. MrGIS macrumors regular

I upgraded from a 40D to a 60D, but my only reason for doing so was for the HD video capability. The 60D has some other benefits, (higher ISO sensitivity for example), check the specs, but nothing I would call earth shattering. My still images have not become any better technically. The only difference is they are higher res, so I have more crop room. If you want video, go for the 60D, but if you're simply upgrading for the sake of upgrading, don't bother. The 40D is a fine camera. Buy a better lens, take a class, buy fancier software, get a Mac, or simply save your money... Nothing in your post so far suggest you have any reason to get the 60D.

:apple:

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I got a 60D as my first DSLR, which I love! I've since spent quite a bit of money on some nicer glass, which is what I would really recommend putting more money into rather than buying a new body as a first option.

The 40D was a great camera, and really the 60D only has good HD video features as a major selling point over the 40D. But outside of that and the normal "progressive" upgrades like others have mentioned, there's nothing extremely revolutionary to upgrade to.

If you're really wanting to upgrade your body, wait for the next version of the 7D or even Canon's entry level full frame camera, whenever that comes.

For now, save your money for some nice lenses and keep saving :)

8. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Like a few have mentioned, buy some new glass, I would suggest shooting in raw mode, buy Photoshop elements and Lightroom. You'll be amazed with the output and fun you'll have post processing. Best of luck.

9. Forensic, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Forensic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the input. Some great suggestions. I did hear about a replacement to the 60D through my local camera store yesterday. According to them they seem to think within the next 6 months. When researching it I found that an upgrade to the 60D might be announced at Photokina (??) this month which I guess is a huge imaging show. For those that know about this show do they usually make a lot of big announcements? I am in no rush but if they are about to make an announcement I have no problem waiting.

As far as my 40D I have yet to buy any real lenses (mine was a kit) so if I was to move on to the next one I do not have a lot invested yet which is one of the reasons I am considering upgrading.

By the way I just bought a new Mac Pro along with Lightroom 4 so I think I am off to a decent start

Thanks!!
    Steve

10. cameraREC-toby macrumors newbie

I am not hearing that the 60D will be replaced at Photokina, it has been out for two years and previous XXds were released on or before the 2 year mark but with the T4i doing just about everything the 60D does, some of it better I think they feel comfortable pushing that back further. 60D, 7D and 5DMII line could all be shaken up with the entry level full frame.

As someone the shoots with an 18-200 it strikes me that you value convenience over ultimate image quality and it may be worth your while to consider the T4i with the 18-135 kit lens, it is a much improved lens over previous versions and a good bit better than the 18-200. Doesn't do much to improve you as a photographer and the other recommendations of better lenses are right on.

11. 100Teraflops, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

My first DSLR is a 60D. I am very happy to date and I feel I have not 'outgrown' the camera by no means. Moreover, I own a 5D MK II. I like the articulating screen and iso noise is fairly minimum once you find the sweet spot of an exposure. One can carelessly utilize up to iso 800. 5.3 fps is pretty good, but it is not a machine gun. On occasion I am let down, but this is to be expected. I have minimal dust and debris inside the camera, but this may be a personal thing. I record short clips, as I have not film an entire movie or documentary, but it is very capable video-wise. I will continue to use a 60D until it breaks. The only crop sensor I would replace it with is a 1D series camera. Nothing against the 7D though, as it is a viable option!

My camera has held up well to the elements. It has minimum marks or stains so to speak. I do not dip it in water or drop it in mud puddles, as it is not a 1D series rig. I have had the camera one and a half years and counting. My opinion, it is a good buy and well worth the $900 price tag new. I think a 60D can last at least 4-5 years if it is properly maintained. Happy Shopping OP! I hope this helps some!

12. Keleko macrumors 68000

I also got a 60D as my first DSLR, and I'm also very happy with it. Unlike what others have said, I think it is a worthwhile upgrade from the 40D. The extra ISO sensitivity is worth it, if you ever have to shoot at all in low light. If you don't, then the 40D will work just fine.

I also REALLY like the articulating screen on the 60D. It makes it much easier to frame awkward shots where you can't see through the viewfinder.

13. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I don't like the plastic body on the 60D as compared to the magnesium body of the 40D. But, the specs are a little nicer and things like he articulated screen can be handy. In general I would call it a moderate improvement.

14. M0cked macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a 40D to a 60D as well and I went through the CLP and got it a heck of alot cheaper and I had a zero shutter count on mine. So over all I was pleased. The two reasons why I upgraded was for higher iso and video.

I agree with Dave on the feeling of the body, but I take care of all my stuff so I'm not too worried about it. But I did the upgrade AFTER I got good lenses. Do NOT buy kits, they are a waste of your time. Since you're a 'casual' shooter, I wouldn't necessarily go for the "L" lens. But something along the lines of a Sigma 30mm, Tamron 17-50, Canon 100mm, etc.. kind of 'middle ground' lenses.

WARNING!

I'm telling you this right now since you're a 40D possibly going to a 60D... And I didn't really pay attention to this until after I bought the camera (I was very noobish at the time)... The memory is different, the batteries/charger are different, and the remotes are different. So be prepared to swap all those out.

WARNING!

15. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I'd suggest you put the extra money in lenses rather than a new body. It's a common mistake noobs make, they see a shiny body and read about high-ISO sensitivity 39 AF points and whatnot, but forget that the second-most important bit is actually the stuff that sits between the subject and the sensor (the most important one being the gray matter right behind the viewfinder).

The 40D is a very capable camera, and the 60D is actually a step backwards when it comes to built quality.

If you tell us what you like to shoot in some more detail, we can help you. But probably a fast standard zoom like Canon's 17-55 mm f/2.8 or Tamron's 17-50 mm f/2.8 (if you're on a budget) will be good places to start. You can also get a Tamron 60 mm f/2 macro lens which also doubles as a portrait lens. Don't worry too much about lenses, they lose very little in value and you will be easily able to resell them later if you don't like them or if you want to upgrade them in the future.

16. Forensic thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys,

Thanks for all of the valuable input. I am still deciding on what to do but there have been some great suggestions here. Thanks to all that have responded. Overall I guess I am really not sure in which direction I want to go. All I know is that I have really fell in love with photography and would really like to expand my knowledge and abilities. I am certainly in no rush nor do I HAVE to sell my 40D but I must admit I am a geek and always like to have newer equipment...lol. I know cameras and lenses are not cheap so I am trying to be smart before I invest more heavily. I must say though that I really like the idea of having the video capability on the 60D and I do keep reading rumors about a 70D right around the corner so maybe I will just wait and see.

Thanks again!!
    Steve

17. breezie macrumors member

I agree with Oreo. What other lenses do you currently own? If I read correctly, all you have right now is a kit lens with your 40d. If that's the case - you're not really investing in the right direction.

18. MrGIS macrumors regular

Steve,

I'm not sure you are listening to the advice you are asking for. Spend your money on lenses and forget about the body upgrade... This is what will make a noticeable difference in the end result of your photography. Resist being a geek for a while, trust us....

:apple:

19. Forensic thread starter macrumors newbie

MrGIS,

I am definitely listening. Seeing some of the work I see on this site it's obvious you guys know what you are talking about. I just like to think out loud sometimes and it is hard resisting to be a geek.....lol. I greatly appreciate all of the advice from you guys and I will definitely look into lenses for my current 40D.

Thanks to all that took the time to respond! In time, I hope to have some photos worthy to post on this site. Of course, now I will shift my next question as to what type of lens I should start out with.

Thanks!!
    Steve

20. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I have the 60D. Wouldn't bother upgrading from the 40D to it, if you must upgrade you're better off going to either a 7D or a 5D.

Definitely invest in glass for now, I think it's the best bang for your buck. Once the body becomes a limiting factor then start thinking about upgrading.

Also you mentioned the 18-200, I'd say that's great for convenience but not so much for IQ as it's a huge focal range. Some high end zooms or primes on your 40D will look much better than the 18-200 on a 60D.

21. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Glass>body

but if your camera is not doing half of what you want it to do, then maybe its time to upgrade.

I started out with a 450D and i turn into sports photography. 3.5 fps is nothing compare to my 7D 8fps. Its usually buy the best you can afford.

22. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I'm in a similar spot as you. I have a 40D and was thinking of upgrading to the 60D. I decided to hold off and got better lenses instead. I got the 70-300mm L and the 17-55mm f/2.8. I love them both. They are fantastic.

I think we're on the cusp of big change in cameras. I'm guessing we'll see Wi-Fi, GPS and iPad integration. Look at all the electronics packed into that new iPhone five. It shows you what's possible with today's electronics. It's probably a good time to wait and see what comes out next.