Canon 7D 60fps Slow Motion problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steveagee, Jan 24, 2011.

1. steveagee macrumors newbie

Hey, so I've been having serious issues trying to shoot for slow motion on my 7D. I've got my settings at 60fps, shutter speed at 125, and yet when I slow my clips down afterwards they look like this (terrible skipping problems): http://vimeo.com/19142378

2. leandroc76 macrumors regular

How are you rendering slow motion? What NLE are you using? Typically, FCP will render slow motion even on regular 29.97 fps.

3. ppc_michael, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It looks like you have some kind of frame blending going on. Can you tell us more about your workflow? How you're importing your footage, how you're reinterpreting your 60fps footage, etc.

If you're using Final Cut Pro, and adjusting the "Speed" settings, that's actually not the way to go (even though it seems like it should be), because FCP will try to smooth the motion and produce the kind of thing you're seeing.

Edit: Are you actually Steve Agee? That's pretty awesome, I am a fan.

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

First off, I'd start out by changing your shutter speed to 120 to fully emulate the 180degree shutter of motion picture cameras. (You can experiment with other shutter speeds, but I'd go with 120 to start)

Next, we'll need more info like the other two followups have mentioned. Which NLE are you using and how are you slowing the footage down?

If you're using Final Cut Pro, try conforming your 60p footage in Cinema Tools first. I would do this on a copy of a clip first as the change is permanent.

Nice work in the Cisco spot by the way.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

what framerate are you editing at? 23.976 or 29.97?

what you want to do is open the clip in cinema tools and "conform" it to that framerate... this will slow it down without frame blending and look very good. then you can slow it further if needed.