Canon 7D err 30

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
bought a canon 7d used a few weeks ago, shot about 1000 shots with it and I got err 30 a couple times today. I hit it into my hand in frustration, quite hard, and everything seems to be working again (for now anyway). The images came out black indicating to me that the shutter remained closed rather then opening? The camera has only done 8k shots, and the warranty expires, today..

thoughs?

edit: oh, its in mint condition otherwise.

Last edited:

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Warranty expires today? Call Canon. At least get this documented with support. Then go from there. They might even be able to help you over the phone.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I did a search on this and came up with a lot of hits. Below is one of the links I read:

7d Shutter error 30 Post seven is helpful.

Find out what lens the owner was using at the time. I have the Tokina 12-24 and the aperture will sometimes stick closed on my XSi. Punching the preview button on the camera frees it.

Dale

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Warranty expires today? Call Canon. At least get this documented with support. Then go from there. They might even be able to help you over the phone.
I figured as much, "sadly" I live in europe so they had already closed when this happened. I hope they will be helpful tomorrow, i'm thinking that if they'll let me, i should get the shutter replaced (for free) just to be sure.

I did a search on this and came up with a lot of hits. Below is one of the links I read:

7d Shutter error 30 Post seven is helpful.

Find out what lens the owner was using at the time. I have the Tokina 12-24 and the aperture will sometimes
the previous owner only used cheapish canon lenses on it, I only use canon lenses as well. I started getting the errors when shooting in portrait mode with focus tracking and burst, with my 24-70mm f/2.8L

I got the error four times, each time I was doing as described above, the first shot would go off fine, then the next shot would cause the error.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I figured as much, "sadly" I live in europe so they had already closed when this happened. I hope they will be helpful tomorrow, i'm thinking that if they'll let me, i should get the shutter replaced (for free) just to be sure.
In the US, the Canon warranty applies only to the original owner of the camera. Hopefully this won't be an issue for you.