Canon 7D err 30

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mulo, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mulo, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

bought a canon 7d used a few weeks ago, shot about 1000 shots with it and I got err 30 a couple times today. I hit it into my hand in frustration, quite hard, and everything seems to be working again (for now anyway). The images came out black indicating to me that the shutter remained closed rather then opening? The camera has only done 8k shots, and the warranty expires, today..

thoughs?

edit: oh, its in mint condition otherwise.

2. rebby macrumors 6502

Warranty expires today? Call Canon. At least get this documented with support. Then go from there. They might even be able to help you over the phone.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I did a search on this and came up with a lot of hits. Below is one of the links I read:

7d Shutter error 30 Post seven is helpful.

Find out what lens the owner was using at the time. I have the Tokina 12-24 and the aperture will sometimes stick closed on my XSi. Punching the preview button on the camera frees it.

Dale

4. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

I figured as much, "sadly" I live in europe so they had already closed when this happened. I hope they will be helpful tomorrow, i'm thinking that if they'll let me, i should get the shutter replaced (for free) just to be sure.

the previous owner only used cheapish canon lenses on it, I only use canon lenses as well. I started getting the errors when shooting in portrait mode with focus tracking and burst, with my 24-70mm f/2.8L

I got the error four times, each time I was doing as described above, the first shot would go off fine, then the next shot would cause the error.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

In the US, the Canon warranty applies only to the original owner of the camera. Hopefully this won't be an issue for you.