canon 7d lens needed!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by salacious, Jan 31, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I have a 7d in a few days, and i will only be using it for recording music videos, i need a lens for an overall purpose, zoom function does not matter as long as the lens is good my budget i believe is hard to work with under £200 or around it.

I know nothing about lenses, and would just appreciate answers on a lens that will do the job.

Thanks

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Without knowing what you want to shooot, with that budget, I would recommend a Canon EFS kit zoom lens to start (18-55mm) and/or the nifty-50mm (f1.8).

18-55mm f3.5-5.6 EFS: The advantage of the zoom is that it would allow you more flexibility and you might then learn what focal lengths matter most. The downside with it, is that it's fairly slow (narrow aperture) meaning it won't give you great shutter speeds in fading light or shallow depth of field.

50mm (f1.8): The advantage to the nifty-50 is that it can be great for shallow depth of field effects and shooting in lower light. However, the downside is that it's fixed focal length and maybe too long depending on what you want/where you want to shoot.

You don't have a lot of other choices for that budget although someone else might be able to recommend some Sigma or Tamron products that might fit the bill.

3. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

There will be 2 situations in which il be filming, either green screen, or outside with decent lighting, and never in the dark, the area will always have good lighting, with the odd dark lighting, il mostly do full body shots, iv looked at both the lenses you said and they seem to have good reviews and price wise are very decent, i may even be able to get some second hand, thanks for the advice, if you think of any more please do let me know.

4. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

2.8/17-55 for around $1100. Anything below would be a waste of this good camera.

Don't buy a lens with variable aperture over the zoom range.

If you can't afford this lens, don't buy the 7D.

Go with a Rebel and buy this lens for it.

It is a waste to put a budget (junk) lens on a 7D. Buying a great body and a bad lens is a typical beginner's error.

5. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Both lenses suggested by VirtualRain are good. They're the cheapest lenses you can get. The 18-55mm is the stock kit lens with most canon DSLR so it's easy to find used at a low price as lots of people have them and are upgrading from them. For it's price, it's a good lens, it's quite versatile but it's quite restrictive because of the aperture is so small. Shallow depth of field effects are nearly impossible and forces you to have a lot of available light. The 50mm is a much better lens but at 50mm it's more of a portrait lens and not that useful for video.

If I were you, I'd go with a t2i or a t3i rather than the 7d. You can get a t2i for less than half the price of a 7d and get a 18-55mm in the deal. The t2i, t3i and 7d share the same sensor so there is basically no difference in image quality. The 7d has a much better build and ergonomics but that is more of a concern for photo. With the spare money, you could get some sweet prime lenses. You could shoot pretty much everything with a 28mm f/1.8. Get the 50mm because it's such a good deal and use the 18-55 @ 18mm when you need to go wide. Primes lenses are preferred for video as they are usually sharper and have a larger aperture at a cheaper price. You need a lot of light to shoot video and you will quite often want to get a shallow depth of field. Best of all, lenses loose their value much slower than camera bodies. Also, do you have a tripod?

Oh and the only lenses I own are the 18-55 and 50mm. I'm looking for a 28mm eventually.

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

50mm f/1.8 is the first thing i'll be getting for a 7d, if i had one.

8. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

nice one for this, very useful, i actually used it to complete a course before, but had forgotten the link... how embarassing ha ha

9. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

I'm a fan of the EF 50mm f1.8 II. While the focus ring is small, a rubber band and a jag35.com D|Focus ring make manual focus with your forefinger very easy. That said a constant aperture zoom makes sense. I ordered a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD today for a great price (almost half the price of the Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS). Another option would be the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Comes in two models (one with VC/one without).

10. tmagman macrumors 6502

i have the 50 1.4 USM for my 7D and I find its a little narrow field of view becauase of the crop sensor at times. I got a friend with the Sigma 30 1.4 HSM and she really likes it because once you apply the crop its almost exactly a 35mm equivilient 50mm lens (and much more useful at that range. I think that should be in your price range (or maybe just slightly over)

11. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

i hate you.. no im jokin the t2i does look very good for video purposes, im wondering whether to cancel my order and go for it, although i would like to shoot stills in the future aswell as videos but more likely videos as i dont know much about professional photos...

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Honestly, the 7D is just gonna show you how bad your lenses are. I have one and have the 55-250mm Canon lens, it looked good on my 450D, I don't even bother using it on my 7D...

Order a 60D or 600D and a better lens, the 15-85mm lens that the 7D is bundled with suits it well.

13. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

the angled view finder is brilliant on the 600d, if i was pointing the camera would i be able to see myself in the viewfinder, i know its odd to ask but iv got god vision so can get a fair idea of what i would be recording, whats the benefits over the 550d? from what i can tell its just the viewfinder no?

14. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Pretty much, it's also possible to zoom in digitally while in video mode and remote flash sync. But the tilty-swively screen can be nice for video. You don't just need to be able to frame properly, you have to focus manually. So having a clear view of the screen is important and can be a pain when in odd angles on the t2i. Though I'm not sure that upgrade is really worth it.

15. rebby macrumors 6502

This. When I got my 7D, all of a sudden, I got a very good look at just how good L glass really is and why it's worth the extra coin. If you're going to go w/the 7D, you're going to want quality glass.

Then again, if you're doing mostly video, you might not notice just how "soft" most lenses are???

16. Bokehlicious macrumors newbie

From my experience, while a prime lens i great for video, you really, really, have to hold the camera steady. For doing hand held videos, a lens that comes with image stabilization is almost a necessity. I know, you can fix a lot of camerashake in post production, but it's much easier if you have steady footage to begin with.

Primes are great for for dolly shots or shots on a tripod or with a super steady hand.

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I was merely suggesting you just get the latest and greatest, why get the 550D if the 600D is out? Flip out screen would be a big help, wish my 7D had it.

18. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

i actually cancelled my 7d order, decided after watching some movies made with the 600d that im dead set on the 600d, iv decided to get it with the kit lens, and mess around with that until i get a feel for the camera and the settings, then get serious with a more better lens.

thanks for the info without you i was about to spend a grand and now iv halved that and gotten more :)

600d