Canon 7D: Smooth handheld?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey i've been testing my 7D with a 16-35mm lens. Usually Canon doesn't make IS below 70mm or higher because not necessary on the wider lenses.

However of course when holding it and shooting and maybe even walking slightly it appears very jerky/ jittery/ shaky.

What are your suggestions without having to get a big handheld rig?

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for info.

Anybody know about this? I've tested both my 2 lenses and i can't figure out really.

I have a crappier lens that came with the 7D kit, 28-135mm with IS and a more expensive one the EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM without IS.

As far as i know you only benefit with IS if it's getting closer to 100mm but not on wide or 16-35mm, that's why there's no IS on my more expensive lens, right?

But is there a difference in image stabilization when shooting with one that has IS but in wide? I can't really figure out. I'm comparing videos and at some point i feel like the IS does benefit and then other times it looks pretty much same as the one without IS at wider lens settings.

Any idea?

4. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

IS won't help much still need a real kit. Anything from a Manfrotto 585 to a Redrock Micro set up to one of the Zacuto Gunstock shooters, you're looking at upwards of 300+ for great stabilization. Something to think about before you buy these cameras for video, along with proper audio solutions. I'm getting all my gear set now before I get my 7D and 5D Mark II next year.