Canon 7D video skips in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Equinepics, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Equinepics macrumors newbie

Okay, so I am shooting at 30 fps HD ... all excited, right up until I am editing in iMovie and it looks horrible, it skips/lags/blurs motion.

I am a pro photographer and usually I can work these things out, but I am stumped ... is there anything I can do? The still images/songs/transitions/titles etc all look great, it's just the portions of the iMovie with video that have issues.

Mac OS X

2 GHz Intel Core Duo

Files are on an external hard drive, downloaded via iPhoto

94 GB free on the hard drive

Fire away!
    Wendy

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

A 2GHz Core (non 2) Duo machine can easily struggle with 1080p video particularly when using Quicktime. Try playing the video back in Quicktime alone and see if it still happens.

To be honest though, it sounds like it might be time to think about upgrading your computer. :(

3. Equinepics thread starter macrumors newbie

Salvageable?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you think there is an error when the files were loaded into iPhoto, or during the editing ... and when played on y-tube or another computer will the stutter disappear?

I already deleted the files off the camera card ... is there any hope for what is still in iPhoto?

Thanks again,
    Wendy

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If it is just your computer being slow then the movies should play fine back elsewhere. The files themselves should be fine so moving your iPhoto library to a new computer or playing them on YouTube on another computer should be stutter free.

5. Equinepics thread starter macrumors newbie

You tube tested

Your so right ... It plays fine in you tube! What a relief!

The client talked me into adding video to the stills for a horse sale video she could put on you tube, they are just a few seconds, and it's not something I would normally do, so it's a huge relief that it will play on You tube.

Thanks captain!

Wendy

6. Equinepics thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone

Is there an app for this forum? Or an iPhone version?

Lol it's tiny on my phone ;)

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Glad it worked out all ok!

I'm not sure if there's an iPhone version, I hate using iPhone formatted sites personally and always switch them off. I prefer having the regular sites with all the gumpf!

8. advres Guest

advres

The problem is you are trying to edit H.264 video files. H.264 is a very processor intensive codec and should never be used to edit with. Use mpeg streamclip or compressor and convert to Apple Intermediate Codec. That is 100% the first step in your workflow when working with 5d, 7d, t2i DSLR footage.