Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Hi everyone,

My mother is retiring soon and one of the gifts for her is a Canon A530 (this will be her first digital camera). She has an RV and will be travelling a lot (with or without a computer, we're not sure yet...). So I've been given the task of finding a good compact photo printer.

Really, the important parts of this are that it be easy to use, put out decent prints, and have a small footprint. I'm assuming she'll mostly want 4x6 prints and if she wants something bigger, she can wait until she gets home to use an online service.

I'm not sure what will be easier, USB connection or a built-in memory card reader - pros/cons eitherway?

The price tag should be around $150, with room up to $200 to get some extra paper and ink. Perhaps a carrying case if that's even an option for any of them.

Thanks in advance,
cpjakes

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I got the same digital camera too.. i'm looking @ hp Photosmart 475 :D

it's about memory storage that i got me .. it's 1.5GB's or 1000 to 1200 pics of storage (internally) :eek: .. and you can edit pics from the couch and view them on the big screen tv .. :D ... if it sounds like im lazy when i'm home yes i'm ..:eek: :eek:

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
The Canon IP6600 can be found on sale at Best Buy's every other week or so for around 150. Its not as portable as say the hp 475 as this is a full size printer, but on the positive side it doesn't suck. Google some reviews about that canon, its won a ton of awards over the past 10 months or so. And if your not looking to buy right away new models will be hitting the stores in late august or september, but the comparable model will probably debut at 200.

Edit: realized your looking for compact printer, if thats an absolute must then I guess the 475 is adequate enough. But check out the size difference from a regular stand alone printer and the compact one and compare the quality you get from each and see what you like

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, I might have to do an in-store comparison this weekend. I like the internal storage on the 475, that seems useful for dumping off pictures when on the road. But it might also have a few extras that won't really get utilized...

Keep the opinions coming!

cpjakes

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I think it depends on how many 4x6 prints she needs, verse how many more she would do with her own printer. I know that I love my Epson PictureMate Deluxe from when I got my D50 earlier this year.

REDSRT4

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
I like the 8250 from HP i personally thinks its worth paying a little extra to get a bigger printer with the single ink tanks!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Canon has quite a few models available that only print in 4x6 and the CP600 includes a battery as well. They're all dye-sublimation, just like the professional machines.

I've also heard great things about the various Epson PictureMate models and they can be had for bargain prices in some cases.

I've found both brands to be quite reliable and these kinds of printers are small enough that you can carry them with you, though the PictureMate will need an electrical outlet.

The packaging of the paper and ink together leads to premium results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.