Canon A630 Zoom Lever

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hamradioman, May 16, 2011.

1. hamradioman, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

hamradioman macrumors newbie

I believe I may have not described my issue correctly. The zoom lever/botton assembly on my new Canon A630 is slightly loose. I mean the whole assembly moves around in the mounting hole. The movement is not a lot and the zoom lever and shutter button work. I was just wondering if this assembly needs to be tightened or this is normal. The reason I even noticed it is the same assembly on my 2 A530's and my A520 are tight in the mounting hole. If this is normal then fine. If not then I may need to take the camera in for service. Sometimes I get worked up for nothing but it has been my experience that if something is not right it usually gets work and breaks. The camera is under warranty if this is a repair issue.

Thanks

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

According to both Amazon and B&H Photo, this camera isn't made anymore. You can get a used one through Amazon for $55. My point and shoot has a bit of play in the zoom lever, too, but the photos are fine. Nothing is perfect. If she wants to send it back for repairs, then do so. The cost of shipping might make it a bad deal.

Dale

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I have the A530 and the lever moves quite a lot before the mechanics kick in. I think this is the normal behaviour for Powershots; it's not so clear on this image, but on the zoom lever there is a small mark, and on the outside next to the "zoomed in" and "zoomed out" icons there are dots, and the mechanics don't activate until they are aligned.
    [​IMG]

4. hamradioman thread starter macrumors newbie

Canion A630 Zoom lever/bottom Assembly ADDENDUM

I believe I may have not described my issue correctly in my previous posting. The zoom lever/button assembly on my new Canon A630 is slightly loose. I mean the whole assembly moves around in the mounting hole. The movement is only slight and the zoom lever and shutter button work. I was just wondering if this assembly needs to be tightened or this is normal. The reason I even noticed it is the same assembly on my 2 A530's and my A520 are tight in the mounting hole. If this is normal then fine. If not then I may need to take the camera in for service. Sometimes I get worked up for nothing but it has been my experience that if something is not right it usually gets worse until it breaks. The camera is under warranty if this is a repair issue.

Thanks

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks for the clarification. Wiggle before the lever activates the zoom is more or less common, but the entire unit should not move like you describe. Something is loose, have it repaired.

Dale