Canon, auto bracket exposure compensation for HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by qveda, Aug 3, 2011.

1. qveda macrumors regular

Question for Canon owners who are limited to 3 auto-bracketing exposures.

I have 5D mkII. I typically shoot 3 auto-bracket exposures for HDR images (-2, 0, +2 ev). trying to use EV compensation together with auto-bracketing to help take a series of more images. but not sure that its working. need to do a couple of tests.

I'd like to minimize the button/dial presses to achieve this, to induce as little movement in the tripod mounted camera as possible.

Has anyone tried setting auto-bracket (-2, 0 +2), take the shots, then change EV compensation setting to -1, take shots, then change EV to +1 , take shots. ?

If it works, you could end up with 9 shots, only 2 overlapping ones. thus 7 different exposures: -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3 - right?

Or, does EV compensation not work for auto-bracketed shots ? so far, I'm not sure its working properly for me.

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

You are correct, setting the exposure compensation and Auto Exposure Bracketing will result in having the the "base exposure" shifted to where you set the exposure compensation to.

You can set AEB to the custom menu which will make a much faster to set.

3. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the suggestion about the AEB 'custom menu'. I haven't looked into that.

4. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

looking at the Canon 5D mk2 manual, it says
    So if I set AEB to -2,0,2, and exp.comp to -2, I should get -4,-2,0.
    then set exp.comp to +1, I'd get -1,1,3. this would eliminate overlap and provide 6 images with a 7 -stop range, but only changing the EV setting from -2 to +1 between the 2 sequences. not bad. of course other combinations could be used.

Emorydunn: where would I access the AEB "custom menu" option ?

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

As a side question (sorry if this steals your thread), how can you use exposure compensation in manual mode without using AEB? I seem to be only be able to set EC on the quick menu when in AV or TV.

6. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

hi Fitchaced, I don't think exposure comp works in manual mode.

7. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

qveda: You are correct, that's what you should get. Of course make sure you play around with it on some just to make sure it does exactly what you want. Also, once you set the exposure compensation and go to the AEB setting it should display a new scale (so with +2 compensation it will show 0, 2, 4)

The custom menu should be one of the main top level options (I think it's green) but I'm not entirely sure on a 5D mkII. As for setting AEB to the custom menu I think you have to go to 'My Menu Settings' and then 'Register' and then scroll through every. single. menu item and choose one. Luckily 'A' is pretty early on.

fitshaced: There is no exposure compensation in manual, it's all exposure compensation. What it does when the camera is choosing something for you is simply telling the camera to over- or under-expose by a certain number of stops.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Have you looked into Magic Lantern? I think it lets you do 9 exposure bracketing with a 5D Mark II without having to change anything in between, similar to the native three exposure bracketing.

9. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Emorydunn, I don't think the 5D MkII works quite the way you describe. I don't think changing the EV comp changes the scale of the AEB - but I'll double check , perhaps I didn't notice. Also I think I don't have the menu options the way you described. Which camera body are you using?

Hi Mackmgg, hmmm.. if magic lantern firmware would enable me to take up to 9 images I might go for it. I'll do some surfing to find out more about it, and in particular if it will enable the larger AEB sequence since this would be simpler, fewer mistakes, no risk of moving the camera during the sequence.

10. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

If your tripod is sturdy enough this shouldn't matter at all. If pressing a button changes your composition, then you need a new tripod.

11. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

Not really worried about the composition, but as long as I'm locking the mirror (live view) and remotely triggering the shutter, I'd rather not have to manipulate the controls (joystick etc), which could move the camera just a tiny bit so the images are exactly registered. but point well taken. (and truth be told, I hand hold some of my hdr shots when there is no time to set up ). mostly looking for an easy to use method that doesn't involve buying a Promote Control ;-)

12. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I've got a 40D, but I've used the 5D MkII. But maybe I'm not remembering it correctly. Although it seems weird that they would remove something like that.

13. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

In my experience, when I have my camera on a tripod and locked in, I can pretty much do anything I want on it and it won't budge. Mess with filters, hood, change settings, attach a remote flash trigger on the hot shoe. Helps to have a very sturdy tripod though ... and standing on firm ground.

14. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

D'Oh ! just realized a silly error I've been making. no wonder my test results were odd.

I was setting the AEB spread and offset (pressing the joy stick button, viewing the LCD screen, selecting the AEB box). Then I thought I could modify those AEB exposures using the EV compensation (+ or - ) in the box on the display to the right of AEB. Just realized that those settings are for *flash* compensation. Jeez.

However, as emorydunn suggested, I found that if I click the joystick on the AEB box, and then press the button in the center of the wheel, I get the bigger display that shows +/- 4 stops instead of 2 stops.

So I'll just use AEB to take multiple series of 3 exposures , as needed. simpler than I thought.

15. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I'm happy to hear everything worked out as easily (I hope) as it should.

16. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

still some camera movement. tried magic lantern firmware, but ...

Here is an update to my previous posts on this thread.

I tried Magic Lantern firmware. Seemed to load OK, but after selecting the Bracketing tab and choosing numbers for exposures, etc, it didn't work. It either had no effect at all, or would only shoot 3 bracketed shots, no matter what numbers I selected.

So I've given up on ML since I only wanted it for bracketing.

I have a pretty solid tripod ( not full on RSS , but I feel its quite stable. when I use the selector dial to change exposures during a squence, I can see that there is some small amount of movement.

I am using the batter grip on my 5D mkII body. Perhaps there is enough 'flex' between my tripod adapter plate, battery grip and camera body to keep everything totally immobilized.

Are others having this problem? I'd hate to lose the grip , but it would remove 1 element in the chain.