Canon Battery Life

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by acearchie, Jul 29, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have recently started getting into timelapses and specifically ones where I try and capture the movement of the stars (well the movement of the earth!).

However, I have had some inconsistent results with the battery life using my Canon 600D and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

2 Nights in a row I was able to take close to 1,000 photos over a period of 10 hours with roughly a 30-35secs interval between the exposures taken on s2 which is the 1920x1080 JPG.

Last night and the night before I was only able to take 290 pictures over a period of 3 hours 20 mins. They weren't particuarly cold nights and I used very similar techniques to taking the photo's for the timelapse so I was wondering what the issue could be?

Thanks,

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

Do you have your LCD set to turn on after a picture is made for any length of time? I've turned off the LCD "auto show" on my 60D. Also, did you remember to turn off lens stabilization (if it has it) that last time? That uses more power, too.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I turn the LCD into the body which I assumed means that it won't review the picture afterwards.

Also as far as I know the Tokina doesn't have lens stabilisation.

Thanks for the points though!

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Dirty contacts perhaps? They may have been touching different (more dirty) areas on your more recent attempts.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

No nothing like that.

I am really am confused because I managed to get 2 x 10 hour timelapses but now best I can manage is about 4/5.

The only difference I can think of is that the 10 hour one's were in AV mode and the others in M. But I would have thought AV would use more battery than M!