Canon Camara

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maria007, Aug 26, 2008.

1. maria007 macrumors newbie

hi, that's anybody know what programme do I have to download to mac in order to change Photos with CR2 (taken with Canon Camara SO5) and I cannot see then in the mac. I`ve been told that I have to change it to jpg with a software. Can you help me?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Go to Canon's website and download their software updaters for the software that came with your camera. This should be Digital Photo Pro if you have a camera that shoots in raw format.

3. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Actually, RAW Support (that's what that CR2 file is, a RAW file) is provided by Apple, not Canon.

Do you see your camera supported here?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1475

If not, you may be out of luck. In that case you should change the camera's capture mode to jpg.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Canon's DPP does its own raw processing; it does not rely on OS X. That's why when a new camera comes out, like today's EOS 50D, you have to use DPP instead of iPhoto, Aperture, or any of the other OS X-reliant apps for raw acquisition.

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Thanks for the clarification, did not realize that. Sorry if I mislead the OP!

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Maybe I can say this clearer then some of the others....

For many cameras Mac OS X itself can perform the RAW to JPG conversion. It is built-in to the OS. But if your camera is not on the list of those supported by Apple you need to use software made by either the camera maker or a third party (such as bibble or dcraw) The Canon software is not bad and it's free.

Apple tends to only support a camera after it has been on the market for many months or longer. They are not quick to support new cameras and they may never support a camera that is not sold in large numbers.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a G9 and I was surprised to see that plugging in the camera straight to my computer and opening iPhoto resulted in me seeing my CR2 files. I can edit, export, etc etc.

Did you try to just use the supplied USB cable straight from your camera and then open up iPhoto (from iLife 08) and see if the camera mounts? Make sure the camera is on though. If you don't want to plug your camera directly into the computer then you can just use a card reader. I just didn't care to do that after the first time.

If that doesn't work the Canon website (and the supplied CD) has some viewer/import software. I did install this prior to realizing that iPhoto supported CR2 and only use it to get my videos off the camera. This is something iPhoto can't do afaik. Though I installed that software, since the RAW support is in the OS I don't think you need to do it if you use iPhoto.