Canon digital camera w/RAW recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bking1000, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I have really enjoyed using Canon ELPHs (or ixus in Europe) I've had the 300 and 850. Trade-offs galore, but the portability and quick to shoot are the main things for me.

My question is: does canon (or anyone) make a camera that compact, quick and easy that shoots in RAW. I understand the lens, attachment and flash trade-offs I'm making, I'm simply looking for a pocket RAW camera.

I don't like Sony's generally, but I might consider anything. I've got a ton of SD cards, so would prefer to keep using those. Any recommendations?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Look at the Canon G series cameras on dpreview.com

I think the G7 didn't do RAW, but the earlier versions did and the G9 does.

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I had read about G6 and before, but understand they were a little slower in response. I heard the G7 dropped RAW, but didn't know they picked it up again in a later model. I actually looked at the G9 in a Canon comparison chart, and it didn't mention RAW support. I went back and looked more deeply into the G9 on the Canon site, and there it is! RAW support.

Thanks for the pointer. This looks like a possible fit for me, though it's 2X the weight and bigger than the ELPHs. I'll have to see it in person first.

If anyone has any "tiny" digital cams w/RAW support they recommend, please fire away

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

5. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. JDR macrumors regular

I have a G9, which indeed does have RAW, and I love it. Highly recommended. Takes great photos and can (usually) fit in my pocket. You won't be disappointed.