Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I'll have about 400 dollars to spend on accessories in the next 2-3 months. I currently have:

Canon XTi
Speedlite 430 EX II
100mm f2.8 macro
MR-14 EX Ring flash
Sigma 50mm f1.4
68mm of Kenko extension tubes
18-55mm (non IS) kit lens
L-bracket and off-camera cord
Tripods

Any suggestions? I'm looking for general accessories, they don't have to be lenses or flash units. I just ordered two 500Gb hard drives (one for data, one for backup), and I have pretty much all the software I need.

I have been looking at general zooms (17-70mm range) or UWA lenses, but I'm open to suggestions.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I'm not sure what you can get for the kit lens on a market... but I would think sell it so that and $400 would pay for an up-grade in a similar focal length maybe?? I can't think of anything $400 will get you that you don't already have and might need.

BTW more bug pics please! You certainly do justice to the equipment list with the macro shots i've seen you post... more please.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
You seem to like macro so why not a reverse mount ring for the end of your 100mm macro, then reverse mount the 50 and you will get 2:1 magnification, of course that's only $6.00 so you have $394 to go!

Wireless release?

cpl?

a bag to put your stuff in?

you could buy me something?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I guess you could do an extra battery and a battery grip? That should be $200 or less. Maybe a lens extender? Otherwise... a new bag.. different neck strap.. ermm.. $400 vacation to go somewhere with all the stuff you have to get a different perspective for your photos? :)

I guess you could also go and upgrade to the 580 speedlite, I think it is around the $420 mark.

Maybe some photography books? The big problem is without looking at lenses etc there isn't much in the $400 range you don't seem to have, dare we suggest, not spending money? :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
How about a good Hoya CPL, or maybe a set of ND filters? Buy a filter for the largest front glass you have, along a step-up ring (or down... whichever the case may be). This way you can still use the same filters on the smaller diameter glass. For example, I have a 77mm Hoya CPL I use on a Tokina lens. The 17-50mm Tamron lens I also have, has a thread diameter smaller than the Tokina, so I install the step-up ring on the Tamron lens, and the 77mm filter on the ring. The ring costs around $14.00 at B&H.

-Lens hood for the 100mm Macro
-SlingShot camera bag

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'd start by identifying the things you wish you could do where equipment deficiencies were keeping you from your goal. Problems that are solvable within your budget should become obvious.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
^ good if you want to try shooting studio portraits or something...

first, I would upgrade the kit lens. doesn't have to be big, just get a 18-55 IS or a used 17-50 or something. other than that..bag? better strap? filters? books on photography or photo software? or just a vacation to somewhere new...

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
Why do you HAVE to spend it?

Just take photos, lots of them and you will realise what accessories you need and will be thankful for not spending the money.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Considering you have a macro lens, one part of the appeal of Sigma's 17-70 Macro is lessened, which would lead me to consider, if I were you, something more like an 18-50 f/2.8 lens. But it you're happy enough with your 18-55 kit lens, maybe that's not that useful. I've enjoyed the 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS lens. For the price (under $300), it's pretty good. It doesn't compare to the more expensive lenses like the 70-200 f/4 L, but it's half the cost.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
You seem to like macro so why not a reverse mount ring for the end of your 100mm macro, then reverse mount the 50 and you will get 2:1 magnification, of course that's only $6.00 so you have $394 to go!

Well, I already get 2:1 with the extension tubes, so reversing the 50mm will not be necessary. Besides, the front thread in that Sigma 50mm is 77mm and the macro lens has a 58mm thread. That would be one big reversing ring!

I guess you could do an extra battery and a battery grip?
The big problem is without looking at lenses etc there isn't much in the $400 range you don't seem to have, dare we suggest, not spending money? :D

I have thought about the grip (I'll definitely get one or two extra batteries), have any of you used it and found it worth it?
I could certainly not spend the money right away, but I won't have the 400 dollars in cash, but in a sort of gift certificate.

Spend the money on a holiday, one that makes for great photography (with lots of insects) :)

Sadly, I can't buy holiday tickets with the gift certificate. :( But if I find a way around it, I'll definitely think of going somewhere (a second trip to Angel Falls is definitely high on my list!)

I was asking basically because many of you have different point of views regarding needs and suggestions. Since I'll have to spend the gift certificate eventually, I'd like to see what other options I have. Leafing through a photography magazine, I saw a portable hard drive that accepts about 11 different kinds of memory formats. That way I could save my pics when I go on long trips. Have those of you that have used these had pleasant experiences?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Ditch the POS kit lens and get the 28-135mm IS lens. The non-IS 18-55mm was, historically speaking, one of the worst, if not THE worst, lenses canon ever made (just read the lens review sites listed in the sticky at the top of the Digital Photography forum)

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I have thought about the grip (I'll definitely get one or two extra batteries), have any of you used it and found it worth it?

It has great use but it depends on a few factors, grip = extra weight, grip can give you a better balance of the weight of the camera but that would be personal preference, you can also add the hand grip if you desire, other major factor would be what sort of shots and orientation to use the camera for the majority of the time? If you do lots of portrait shots then the extra buttons is very useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.