Canon dslr screen cover

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rweakins, Dec 7, 2008.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

i was wondering how many people have screen covers over their LCD's on their DSLRs. I have a 50d and i was wondering if it would be worth putting one on there. like a ggs cover over the lcd.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I put an adhesive screen protector on the LCD of my XSi when it was brand new (that was about seven months ago). Since I barely even used the camera without the protector, I really can't say whether it had much affect on the appearance of the display, but I don't think it did. I'm not sure I believe that it reduces glare. The surface is still very reflective, and there is still glare.

My main concern was protecting it against scratches. I did manage to scratch a screen once and was forever annoyed by it. This protector is definitely doing its job on that count and has not developed any scratches of its own. I'm also more at ease when cleaning the display with whatever fabric might be handy while shooting. So overall I'm happy with it and would do it again.

3. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I use an adhesive protector on my 40D and yes, it's definitely worthwhile doing. The protector has several little scratches, etc, that would otherwise have been on the screen had it not been there.

They're quite cheap to buy too. Don't buy one thinking that it'll make the screen look better though.

4. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

oh i understand it doesn't increase quality just protects the surface of the screen itself

5. 103734 Guest

I use the one that came with my D90, it snaps on and off, it stays on almost all the time except when I am reviewing all my pictures at the end of a photo session for quick reviews it stays on.

6. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

not that i know off.. i don't know about the 50d it may since it's a way more pro camera than mine (rebel xt) but i know mine doenst..)

8. SWC macrumors 6502

I've looked and have never found one for the canon that snaps on. I ended up getting the invisible shield www.zagg.com. It is absolutely wonderful. It is a tad more expensive than other covers but they have a lifetime warranty against scratches, tears etc. I also use one as a full body cover on my iPhone and again can't recommend it enough.

9. osin macrumors 6502

10. osin macrumors 6502

11. mozadek macrumors member

I bought the invisible shield from zagg for my XSI, I am happy with it. Word is, the protectors from best skin ever is the same as the one used at zagg and comes at close to half the price.

:apple:

12. glennp macrumors member

I'm all for keeping the lcd screen clean and pristine but you do realize that thing you are trying to protect is the lcd screen protection. It's a $7 part available from Canon Parts. As long as you are handy with a suction cup (to pull the existing cover off), it's a fairly quick and easy process.

If the convenience of a film is worth it to you, go for it (I've used both Invisible Shield and BestSkinsEver on phones and iPods and they work great -- BestSkinsEver sells uncut 9x4 sheets for a fairly reasonable price that you can cut yourself to get multiple 40D/50D screen protectors). But the backs of my Canon cameras don't have one on. The built in screen is fairly robust and I'll cross the cheap replacement bridge if I need to.