Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II finally here?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheDrift-, Feb 6, 2012.

1. TheDrift-, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Been waiting for this :) If it actually is the new lens?

Would have preferred a 77mm filter thread, so can use my other filters. Really really wanted IS too, especially considering the likely cost

EDIT After looking at the picture, I'm Not sure it's genuine :(

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/canon-ef-24-70-f2-8l-ii/

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I came to the same conclusion. Those switches are not right. I've never seen asymmetrical switch assemblies on any Canon lens (the sides of the switches should slope down symmetrically on either side). And there is no crevasse on the lower one (AF switch) where the switch box meets the barrel. That crevasse shows on all photos of switches. And that top switch is too small; I was unable to find a photo of any Canon lens with such a small switch box on it. So if this really is a photo produced by Canon, then it's some kind of CGI creation that probably isn't a final product.

Edit: Hmm...OR NOT! This photo just came to my attention: http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1008/canon60d/lenses/EF-8-15mm-f4-L-USM-FSL-w-CAP.jpg

3. rebby macrumors 6502

+1 on these points. Especially the filter thread. I understand that 82mm might be an optical requirement but, I really liked the fact that I had standardized on 77mm filters. The 16-35mm f/2.8L II has the same "problem". Ah well...

4. TheDrift-, Feb 6, 2012

TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

What made me suspicious is the lack of 'macro' capability (yes I know it's not a 'proper' macro lens)

But the existing 24 70 and the 24 105 both say it on the barrell

http://www.fredmiranda.com/24-70/

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...fi&biw=768&bih=928&sei=lC4wT9qEI8ao8AOVsOjlDg

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, that upper switch occupies the space where the macro marking would be, but the photo is definitely missing the markings near the red ring:

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/canon_ef_24_105mm_f_4l_is_usm.jpg

6. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

7. Phrasikleia, Feb 6, 2012

Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The shape of that upper switch is very much like the limiter switch on the new fisheye zoom (see my link at the top of this thread), but it seems very odd to have any kind of limiter, either for focus or zoom, on such a lens. The only other possibility would be a zoom lock, but I wouldn't expect an L lens with such a short zoom range to suffer from zoom creep.

Edit: I just gave it some more thought. If the lens is really close-focusing, then I suppose a focus limiter switch could be a useful addition. That would keep the lens from hunting too much, thereby speeding up auto-focus.

8. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Good call, didnt think of a focus limiter although if it was close focusing then it should have the macro markings??

I'd just really like it to have IS

9. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I too was really hoping for IS, but at least Tamron has now announced such a lens. If it's well built, I might opt for the Tamron instead. I do not have this very useful range covered right now, except when I use my 7D+17-55mm, so I have to switch cameras just to get the equivalent range.

As for the markings, if this image is genuinely from Canon, then it's a concept mock-up, not an actual photograph of the final product. The missing markings (especially those by the red ring) and the missing crevasse around the AF switch box show that it's not a final product photo.

10. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

What I find odd is that if the rumor is true, the 24-70 would not get I.S but the also rumored 24 and 28mm primes would have I.S.

Regardless, that 24mm prime would look great on my camera ;)

11. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

12. VirtualRain, Feb 6, 2012

VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm utterly disappointed there's no version of the new 24-70 with IS. :(

Given the 70-200 comes in a choice of f4 or f2.8, with and without IS, I can't imagine why they chose a single variant without IS for the 24-70. Does Canon honestly believe that people wouldn't value it? Or they think the added weight would be a detractor? Image stabilization is competing with my tripod so it's a no brainer to include it, even if it doubles the weight of the lens! :confused:

EDIT: Oh, and the price... $2300?! This must be an early April Fool's Joke! :mad: I was thinking about upgrading to the next 5D iteration, but not anymore... I think I'll stick with my 7D and 17-55 IS.

13. TheDrift-, Feb 6, 2012

TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Wow thanks for the link...I wonder what the image quality will be like? With no IS, and a lens that creeps (why else the doom lock??) it needs to have an ace somewhere

Edit, just seem the price from VR!!! I was thinking it might be a touch cheaper to make up for the lack of features!

Edit 2, bit more info here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/07/Canon_24-70mm_F2p8_II_24mm_f2p8_IS_28mm_f2p8_IS

14. firestarter, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The 24-70 f2.8II seems a bit pointless. The old lens is really sharp with a nice bokeh (I have it). I'm certainly not tempted to upgrade... I would have been tempted if it had IS. As far as I can see, IS was the one feature everyone was holding out for... the response to this is going to be a big 'meh'.

The 24 and 28 look really interesting. I have the old 24f2.8 as my 'walk around' lens on my 550D. Angle of view is good, and the old optical formula was very sharp (the focussing motor is awful). I'd certainly consider the IS replacement - especially if it's still quite light.

It's a shame the 28 isn't a bit faster. The 28f1.8 has some really bad bokeh effects, so it's a lens I've never considered getting. This new 28 is a bit slow... if they'd pushed it to f2 it would have been fantastic.

What I'd REALLY like to see from Canon is a 35f2 pancake lens. Their X00D series bodies are pretty small and light... and a really compact 'standard prime' would stop me from looking so longingly at EVIL cameras.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is there pricing on the new primes? I'd have preferred f/2.0 to IS but if they are cheap enough...

16. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I was hoping for a 24-70 with IS. It's a shame that Canon didn't bring this out but I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Also with updating the 24-70 and the 24 & 28mm's are they trying to tell us that there will soon be a camera that will notice the improvements?

17. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

probably, they'll need something to "counter" the D800's 36 mega pixels

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The previous 24mm is an OLD design. It has the old-style micro motor... and the underlying optics were apparently pretty similar to the previous FD mount 24mm S.S.C (which I also owned). It's a good enough lens... but I'm sure Canon has learnt something in the last 30+ years!! They have computers to design and check optical formula on for a start! :D

19. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Warehouse express has the new 24 f2.8 IS at £749. The old one was £369. :mad:

I don't think I'll be upgrading at that sort of a price! I'd rather save for the 1.4.

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow. I got my 35 f/1.4 for £600 on eBay (second hand).

21. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

When it comes to primes, I think Nikon really has the edge now. A few years back they had a poor selection with in-lens focussing (and for the newer low end bodies, that meant a limited choice of AF lenses); but they've done a good job at refreshing their lineup. Their 35 f1.8G is aimed at cropped lens cameras, and is only £169. Canon still has a big hole in their lineup for the cropped-sensor shooter looking for a standard lens... these new releases don't fill that gap, and unfortunately their old 35 f2 has really poor bokeh.

----------

It's an awesome lens, but not small or light!

The M43 guys are doing really well with small standard/moderate wide primes, and Canon has nothing.

22. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I wonder if they will, I have seen more than a few rumours put he 5d mk 111 (or 5dx) at arround 22/24 mp

That looks all a bit short against the Nikon....

I do wonder if they are going to go after ISO though....and give better ISO performance? I think I'd prefer that over more MP's?

23. chrfr macrumors 603

The old 24-70 was an aging design that had lots of room for improvement, especially in the corners with full frame high resolution cameras. The Nikon version was distinctly superior.

24. TheDrift- thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

$2300...lucky you!!,

Warehouse express is usally pretty competative on price in the uk and they have it at £2299....thats $3631:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8l-ii-usm-lens/p1529492

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan