Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
We've had a Canon EOS 30D for a little while now, and I've been trying to use it a lot recently. I'm having a lot of problems with the camera. It seems to take way too long to snap a photo, most of the time the AF doesn't focus correctly and takes a long time to settle its focus to begin with. The pictures come out very warm and dark if I'm shooting indoors without flash.

Is there any help you guys can give me? I'm really new to all this photography and want to make sure I'm doing things right with the camera.

Thanks

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
first, read the manual, specifically on modes, setting changes, and AF point selection. then, go outside. indoor available-light photography poses problems even for advanced photographers.

also, acquaint yourself with exposure.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Thanks, I'll look into all of this. The main reason I was asking was to see if this sounded like a generic problem you guys were familiar with. We were shooting indoors on a white backdrop with some strong lights and all the pics with the 30d were way too dark and warm. Someone had a canon Rebel and was shooting much sharper, brighter images. We switched the lenses to see if that's where the problem was but the results were the same.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Just configuration

If shooting a subject in front of a white wall you should switch to spot metering and lock exposure on the subject then recompose. The off colour sounds like incorrect white balance. Also make sure your AF is in OneShot unless you are shooting sports etc.

Just sounds like incorrect configuration for your shots/shooting style

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
If you shoot in any of those "auto" modes below the "P" on the dial, try AV, where of course Manual will give best results when shooting in studio environment...

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Check your white balance setting! That may be the cause of the warmish colours you describe.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks everyone. You were all right, the white balance was way off and effecting the pictures. I need to play around with exposure and such to see what I can do about the pictures coming out so dark.

Thanks for all the tips, really appreciate it.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I still use the 30D from time to time and haven't noticed a difference in focusing between that and the 5DMKII.

Is it just in low light? Expect it with macro shots.

Is it just the one lens?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Low Light = slow focusing and sometime no autofocusing.

You need to learn exposure control - try upping the ISO to 200 / 400 and such.

As far as the warm color under certain lights, learn to manually set the White Balance as well.

Lots of things to try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.