Canon EOS 5D Mark II update in eight months ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Oct 28, 2010.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I am quite interested in buying an updated camera to the Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

If my logic is correct, this camera should come to the market by the end of the summer of 2011. Do you think that it is likely ??

Canon came out with the Canon EOS 5D in september of 2005, and with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II in September of 2008. Wouldn't it be logic if they come out with an update at the end of the summer??

I would rather wait to buy this camera in 2011 than to buy it for the holidays in December.

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

2. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Those that know aren't telling and those that are telling dont know.

Why wait? What are you holding out for?

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

The 5D Mark III will be out sometime in the summer of 2011, if Canon follows the schedule they used with the 5D and 5D Mark II.

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, that time frame sounds about right. If it's really a 5D Mark III and not some newly positioned camera, then it will probably cost about $2700 and will be in short supply for the first few months. So weigh that against a camera that is $2500 and available now.

5. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

They'll have to update the autofocus on it or it will go from being archaic to being a joke.

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Hmmm. I will wait until the upgrade is on the market, and then buy a 5D II with the outdated focus system. :D

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Some relevant tidbits from CanonRumors.com...

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

The question is not when the update is announced (and the time frame is realistic), but when the camera becomes broadly available. That depends on your location, preferred dealer, connections to Canon, etc.

If you constantly think about getting the `latest' and that you're outdated once a new model has been announced, you're in for a very expensive life style. You can take great pictures with `outdated products' and unless new models are literally just around the corner, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to have a camera, I'd ask myself the following questions:
    (i) Do the alternatives (e. g. the 5D Mark II, a used 1 Ds Mark II(I) or a Nikon D700) suffice for what I do? One such question is: why do you want full frame? If you want a Canon, for instance, you may want to consider the 50D is a very good camera that's also a good value at its current price.
    (ii) Does the update offer something I really, really need.

All this talk about 28 MP sensors and fps is missing that most of us won't need that much. I'm satisfied with 10~12 MP, 3 fps and whatnot. I can't say if you're in the same category, but the majority of people doesn't need 7 frames per second or so.

9. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Seriously? Where do you base this from? Please tell us all about it.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Compared to the 7D the 5DII autofocus is shocking.

11. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

5D Mark II has essentially the same AF module as the 5D Mark I -- and even when the 5D Mark I came out, the AF module was dated. The 7D has a top-of-the-line AF system that is (within the Canon-line-up, of course) at worst the second-fastest and second-most powerful.

I went on quite a few photo excursions with a friend of mine who owns the 5D Mark I and my D80's AF system performed better in some situations (e. g. twilight) than his.*

I think Canon has to substantially update the AF system in the successor of the 5D Mark II.

* I don't want to start the discussion whether the AF system is usable or not. Nor am I saying you cannot take good pictures with a 5D Mark I or Mark II.

12. jampat macrumors 6502a

Based on a few hours of playing with a 5Dii at a wedding, the AF on my 20D works more reliably when both have an f4 lens. I was ready to physically chuck the 5dii as it was almost impossible to get it to lock onto anything. With an f 1.x lens, the 5Dii autofocus performs admirably.

13. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

*sigh*. Oh joy! Let's pull this argument out again. It WAS updated in the 5DII, added more cross sensors, greater sensitivity etc. Is it as good as the 7D? Nope. Is it designed to be as good as the 7D AF? Nope.

Let's take a look through Business Glasses for a moment. If Canon were to put a 7D equivalent AF in the 5DII, why would anyone buy the top-model Full Frame camera?

The 5D is NOT a "speed" camera. Would I like a more responsive AF in mine? Absolutely. And if I really want that I'll drop $8K on the 1 Series. So, firstly, neither the camera nor the AF are archaic, and secondly, the 5DII/III will never be a 'joke' camera.

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have compared them and wouldn't call it a shocking difference or archaic. But then I'm a landscape and portrait photographer. If I needed super quick I wouldn't have bought a 5D MKII.

15. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

They have added one cross sensor not several: compared to the Mark I, the center AF point was upgraded to a cross-type sensor. Other than that, the specs of the AF system haven't changed. And if you compare that to other cameras when it was released (say, the 50D), the AF system -- a minor upgrade from a now 5-year camera -- is outdated.
    Nobody claimed the camera to be archaic, just that the AF system is very much outdated. There is no need to be defensive about it, it's just a technical fact. Again, it doesn't mean you cannot take good pictures with the camera.

Keep in mind that 12 years ago, Canon was able to put a 45 point AF system in the (analog) EOS-3. It was introduced in the EOS-3 and later also used in the EOS-1v ;)

16. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

The 5D Mark II's autofocus system is fine for portraits and still/slow moving scenes. It is not fine for action or anything that requires a lot of tracking or a fast response.

It has a terrific sensor. It also has an outdated autofocus system. The two can and do overlap.

17. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

That's kind of my thinking as well!

18. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Great but who needs a 45 point AF system?

19. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

if you're always waiting a year for the next possible update, you're always going to be waiting. what's the point? I picked up a 5D2 when they were first released (had one preordered) and relegated my 30D to backup duty. I love it and doubt I will upgrade to the next version. This is a camera that can last a looong time with the features it has.

20. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Nikon seems to think some people do, given the D3(s), D700, and D300(s), all of which have a 51 point autofocus system. Based on sales, it seems they're right.

21. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

It will be out summer 2011. I'd wait unless you must have one now.

22. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

The point is two-fold:
    (i) Canon has used the same AF system in its second-best body as in the best body. It has even introduced the AF system in the second-best body. So much for cannibalization.
    (ii) Canon has used 45 point AF system 12 years ago, now the 5D uses 9 (+ 6). I know that more points does not imply the AF system is better, but the point is that 12 years ago, Canon has given its second-best model a top of the line AF system. Nowadays it intentionally gives the 5D a mediocre/outdated AF system.

Nikon uses essentially the same AF system in its top four cameras, the D3x, D3s, D700 and D300s (although the D300s uses a DX version).

23. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Actually, the point is moot. If the camera has what a person needs, then it makes no difference that it could have had something else.

24. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Slow AF?

The old 5D managed to track this quite well......

[​IMG]

25. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Part of the issue is that Canon forces those who need a high megapixel sensor and great autofocusing to choose between the 7D (a crop camera), the 1D Mark IV (much more expensive than the 5D Mark II and another crop camera) and the 1Ds Mark III (ridiculously overpriced, given its age).