Canon EOS 60D Software help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mulo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mulo, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

So I was given a Canon EOS 60D for my birthday last week, and I've been running around taking pictures like a mad man since then, but with it came a CD with some software on it. The problem is that I took my CD drive out of my MBP in favor of an optibay.

So I'm wondering if anyone has that software laying around, knows where to get it, or is willing to make me a disk image of the CD? :D

I included a shot I took of The Church of our Savior on the Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg russia. (unedited)

Attached Files:

2. fc0712 macrumors regular

3. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

You can download the software directly from canon's support page

4. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

hopping back and forth between auto (no flash), Program, landscape and creative auto.

care to toss me a link? I tried that myself, but couldn't find it, only software updates.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

All they have are the updates, just download that. Then follow these instructions to install the update without having the original already installed.

6. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

thanks that got me installing, but then theres this whole ordeal...

Attached Files:

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Are you running Lion? I looked at the updates available for your camera and mine (XSi) and they don't have anything available for systems above Snow Leopard yet.

Why do you want or need this software? I got CDs with my camera and never installed them. iPhoto opened all my pictures and PhotoShop CS3 did the editing. I use Aperture 3 now. The only thing the update from Canon addresses is using an external flash. I don't know about the editing and browsing software they have, but I stick with Apple stuff. It just works.

Dale

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

This!

I'm on my 4th Canon DSLR and haven't installed any of the CDs. I prefer Lightroom, and don't want to clutter my drive with Canon's stuff.

About the only reason I can think of to install Canon's software is if you want to shoot tethered.

9. mulo, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

ya running Lion :)

Well I really don't know if i need or want it, since I don't have a clue what's on the cd :confused:, I too am using Aperture 3 right now.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

On the DVD should be

Canon DPP: Canons own raw conversion software: last time I used it I hated it, Aperture is better
    Canon Photosomethingorother: A bit like Adobe Bridge without any of the good stuff. Aperture is better
    EOS Utility: lets you remote control the camera over USB, see Live View on your laptop screen, shoot tethered, do tethered timelapse control. Can be useful.

11. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

EOS utility is not updated for lion yet, and is incompatible with the operating system.

12. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

well thats good news!

which means this is bad news!

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

As said, the latest version of EOS Utility doesn't work in Lion. For some reason unknown to me, an older version does. Delete the "Canon Utilities" folder from Applications, and try again with this version.

14. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

it probably just doesn't include a system version checker...
    does it work with the 60D?

15. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

That I'm not sure of. It works fine with my T2i, which was released around the same time, but it may not work with the 60D. It's the newest version that will work in Lion, so it's worth a try. If it doesn't work you'll have to wait for Canon to update the newest version for Lion.

16. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

17. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

PS Elements, CS5, and a few other applications are compatible with Lion. For the time being you can use Elements or CS5 to download and edit your photos without the use of Canon software. You can do this until Canon Lion or the Canon software are updated to be compatible with each other. It usually does not take very long.

18. Jazzy Jase macrumors newbie

I have a 60D and have never installed any of the Canon software products on my MBP. I'm using Lightroom & Pixelmator for image editing. Just use Aperture if you already have it.