Canon EOS Rebel just blinks (CF light) when I plug it into my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jag-mac-2010, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jag-mac-2010 macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro and when I plug my Canon EOS Rebel Xti into the USB drive, it doesn't appear as a mounted drive. Instead what happens is the light for the CF card on the camera just blinks rapidly.

I'm not sure what's going on here. The camera works just fine when plugged into my Windows PC (which I'm trying to leave in the dust!!). When plugged in, the open as dialogue appears. Why the trouble on my Mac?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You can not mount a Canon camera as a drive. You are only able to remove pictures with a program like Aperture or iPhoto. If you open a program such as those, your camera will show up in the devices list.

To use CF as a drive, you will need to get a card reader.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have the XTi as well, great little camera. But right, as 840quadra said, you have to have an application to pull the data off. Canon gives you one for free, works OK. iPhoto also works. But this is quite slow. The better way is to invest in a $3.99 card reader, you'll get the data off the CF card much faster that way.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Image Capture works also, it's free and should be in your Applications folder already.

5. jag-mac-2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. I got a 32-in-1 card reader from wallyworld and now able to access my files from the CF card just fine. I wish I could just plug the camera in like I used to on the PC, but small price to pay for switching from PC to Mac.

Thanks again!!

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have the T1i and just plug it in. Did you try repairing permissions?