Canon G1 X vs Canon Eos T3i

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by musclemilk, Apr 21, 2012.

1. musclemilk macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I am currently looking for a new camera to purchase, and I am currently looking at Canon's G1 X model and the T3i.
    The G1 X: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x

The T3i: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_kit

They are around the same price range, and their specs are somewhat the same too. In terms of ease of use/video clarity/picture clarity and price value, which one would be the best? Also, if you could suggest any other camera, that would be splendid.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're not going to be able to tell the difference. The G1 is lighter and easier to hold.

3. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

I have the t3i and absolutely love it. I am mostly a novice when it comes to taking pictures, but I am learning a lot with this camera. I don't know much about the G1X, but I don't have any issues with the t3i. I think it fits well in my hand and isn't too heavy.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Do you have the ability to use them in person before you buy? See which you like better.

5. musclemilk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!
    The G1X was recently announced at this year's CES, so its considerably new.

1) In terms of being able to take multiple pictures really quickly with one click, which one would be faster?
    2) I am looking into possibly starting a Youtube channel to create humorous short videos, such as Nigahiga's. Which camera would be the best in terms of recording capabilities/sound capturing? (One issue that I am worrying about is the wind noise disruption while filming).
    3) I can check out my local Bestbuy store to see what the cameras are like, but they all appear the same in the eyes of a highschool camera amateur. Should I be looking for any particular specs for my needs?
    -THANKS!:)

6. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Side-by-side comparison

To answer your questions:
    1) The T3i/600D has almost double the burst rate of the G1x (3.7 vs 1.9 fps). Overall, the T3i is a better camera for photography. It has faster, more accurate autofocus and slightly better image quality (esp. if shot in RAW).

2) The T3i has a stereo mic input (the G1x doesn't), allowing you to use an external microphone; however, the built-in mic on the T3i is mono, while the G1x's is stereo. Both have wind-cut filters. The G1x should autofocus faster during video than the T3i.

3) You seem to be equally interested in video and photos, so you might look into the Panasonic G3 or GH2. Panasonic's video quality is better than Canon's (in this price range), particularly with the GH2 hacks available. They can also autofocus during video faster than the G1x, and much faster than the T3i. Photo quality is also quite good, though the T3i would still have an edge.

7. someoldguy macrumors 65816

I've got a G1X . Got it as a travel camera for use where my 5D2 would stand out too much . It's got good high iso up to 2500 , maybe a bit more . The lens is probably as good as the t3i kit lens . Image quality is surprising for a point and shoot type camera , don't think it's much different than the T3i in quality.Its' got a nice articulating view screen which is great because the viewfinder simply sucks , it's small and only gives you maybe 70% coverage.
    Never tried video on it .
    Get the T3i .... you get a decent viewfinder which can aid greatly in your ability to compose your images, an OK kit lens ( the 18-55),probably an easier set of menus to work with ( though I'm unfamiliar with the Rebel's menu's ), the ability to use filters easier (like a polarizer or ND) , and the ability to interchange lenses . IMHO all this makes the T3i a whole lot better than the G1X as a beginner's camera . There's just a whole lot more flexibility in the T3i.
    the

8. Newyorkjsw macrumors newbie

Canon T3i

The T3i is the much better of the two cameras mentioned here.
    For many reasons, but key one is that it is a true DSLR with a dedicated lens.
    Imaging sensor is also superior. Many other reasons, but no doubt the T3i is the BEST entry level very affordable digital camera available in america.
    The lens that comes with the kit is very good overall.

To bring the T3i to the next level, I would recommend the f 2.8 100mm Macro lens. one is about $450, and the latter l series is about $950
    I myself I buying the L series version of it, which is the the best single LENS Canon makes. PERIOD! -
    -nothing canon make is sharper, and it fits the Canon T3i-

Close up portraits shots taken with this lens using Raw mode, can almost measure up to the higher end full frame canons.

9. elppa, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Sony Alpha NEX 5N

As you seem to want to do video as well: take look at the Sony NEX 5N. There are a few fans on MacRumors.

• APS-C sensor like the Canon G1X and the T3i (but larger than the Panasonic G3 or GH2 mentioned above by El Cabong).
    • Interchangeable lenses like the T3i.
    • Smaller and lighter body than the G1X (there is an excellent site called camerasize.com where you can compare). The final size/weight of the camera will depend on which lens you choose. In that regard no different from the T3i.
    • 1080/60p or 24p video. Built in stereo microphone. Also all E-Mount lenses are design to silently autofocus while shooting.
    • Up to 10 frames per second continuous burst.

I don't know about local pricing (or if you've been able to find a discount), but most regions the NEX 5N with kit lens is quite a bit cheaper as well.

I know Canon (along with Nikon) are "the" camera brands, but in this case, the facts have a Sony bias. Certainly over the G1X. It is a better product at a cheaper price.

The reason to get the T3i would be the Canon lenses, if that is important to you. I am struggling to think of a good reason to get the G1X at all. It is perfectly capable, but you can get better IQ and better video for the money. Or less money.

Good luck!

Edit: Here's what The Verge had to say about the NEX 5N, when naming it one of their products of the year:

Attached Files:

10. Bear macrumors G3

Of those 2, I would recommend the T3i if you want a camera you can grow with.

If you currently have no lenses for the T3i, I would also suggest looking at Nikon.

What you want to do is go in to a camera store and play with any camera you're looking at buying and see if the control layout seems comfortable to use. Comparing the Canon to another brand will help make sure that the ergonomics of the Canon won't be an issue for you. Some people prefer Canon, some Nikon - for similar cameras, the right choice is what is comfortable for you to use.

11. musclemilk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses!:)
    It seems that the G1 X is not in my best interest anymore. I am now stuck between the T3i and the Sony Nex 5N.
    Compared to photo quality, I'd rather have a DSLR (with the Nex 5N being an exception) that can capture HQ 1080p videos. After viewing many Nikon Vs Canon DSLR video quality tests, I am going to stick to Canon's lineup.

With the T3i's built-in mic being mono, instead of stereo, what will I expect during everyday use, in terms of video capturing? & The T3i should be able to capture film/sound much better than the Nex 5N, right?

Thanks!