Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Hmmm, it looks like it will be much better to grip then my G9. But I will stick with the G9, I don't see much more benefits. I plain on purchasing a Canon 50D, so this will be my heavy lifting camera. While the G9 will be an everyday, social camera. That being said, I don't see any benefits.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Hmmm, it looks like it will be much better to grip then my G9. But I will stick with the G9, I don't see much more benefits. I plain on purchasing a Canon 50D, so this will be my heavy lifting camera. While the G9 will be an everyday, social camera. That being said, I don't see any benefits.

Looking at the specs I also don't see any significant performance jump to rush out and get the G10 I guess its that time of year again holiday shopping season right around the corner so..... :rolleyes:

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
My S70 finally died a couple of weeks back. Seeing as there is very little choice when it comes to compact RAW cameras with WA lenses I ended up with a Ricoh GX200. 12MP and the image quality at 64ISO is way inferior to my old canon at 200ISO. Really do not like the results. Very noisy + I like grain. The previous version with less MP was much better IQ, shame it was too slow to be of any use.
I hope the Canon is not the same colour speckly mess.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This is nuts, unless Canon pulled some miracle sensor out of a hat. I think the question "when will it stop" is a good one. At some point the majority of people purchasing new cameras have to realize that their image quality is getting worse, not better (as troyhark just did). I suppose it will take a special feature on 60 Minutes, an expose that cries foul at the camera industry: "The Shocking Truth about Megapixels: Less is More!" or some such thing. Eh...that probably won't work either.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My S70 finally died a couple of weeks back. Seeing as there is very little choice when it comes to compact RAW cameras with WA lenses I ended up with a Ricoh GX200. 12MP and the image quality at 64ISO is way inferior to my old canon at 200ISO. Really do not like the results. Very noisy + I like grain. The previous version with less MP was much better IQ, shame it was too slow to be of any use.
I hope the Canon is not the same colour speckly mess.

There are countless reviews that support your claims. When looking for a compact P&S I considered a few. Ricoh by far had the worst noise out of three I considered. My choices were also limited because I insisted on being able to shoot RAW.

Onto the G10. First, anyone crying that the whole industry should be exposed and people should be informed that more MP doesn't equal quality needs to get out more. This is an argument that I can safely say has been voiced for well over 5 years industry wide. That said, you'd have to be a complete goon to think that somehow a 14 MP P&S is going to produce images with acceptable noise without some in-camera post processing. In the end you will see sharpness degrade as the noise filter will undoubtedly have to pass through a couple of times to reduce noise. The G9 actually has done well with noise, as well as I expect it to. The only thing the G10 gives me that I would like to have is the 28mm lens and the grip. For under $20.00 I have a grip for my G9 and for less than the price of the G10 I can have a 26-28mm wide angle. Yes, it's heavy and it's an attachment, but it's still easier and cheaper than buying a whole new camera and having to deal with 14MP on a small sensor. :)

The question of "when will this end" is a fantastic one. The answer is probably never. I think technology will wow us and we'll see some way of reducing noise in-camera without losing too much detail, but in the end, I think the higher MP need to be left to the full frame DSLRs.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
It's a matter of marketing.

Eventually someone will figure out how to market higher image quality successfully to consumers, not just enthusiasts and pros. It's a lot like the megahertz myth of years ago. Of course, I guess now we're running the danger of experiencing some kind of multi-core myth eventually, but people have come to understand that megahertz isn't everything.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
There are countless reviews that support your claims. When looking for a compact P&S I considered a few. Ricoh by far had the worst noise out of three I considered. My choices were also limited because I insisted on being able to shoot RAW.

Onto the G10. First, anyone crying that the whole industry should be exposed and people should be informed that more MP doesn't equal quality needs to get out more. This is an argument that I can safely say has been voiced for well over 5 years industry wide. That said, you'd have to be a complete goon to think that somehow a 14 MP P&S is going to produce images with acceptable noise without some in-camera post processing. In the end you will see sharpness degrade as the noise filter will undoubtedly have to pass through a couple of times to reduce noise. The G9 actually has done well with noise, as well as I expect it to. The only thing the G10 gives me that I would like to have is the 28mm lens and the grip. For under $20.00 I have a grip for my G9 and for less than the price of the G10 I can have a 26-28mm wide angle. Yes, it's heavy and it's an attachment, but it's still easier and cheaper than buying a whole new camera and having to deal with 14MP on a small sensor. :)

The question of "when will this end" is a fantastic one. The answer is probably never. I think technology will wow us and we'll see some way of reducing noise in-camera without losing too much detail, but in the end, I think the higher MP need to be left to the full frame DSLRs.

I forgot to mention... The grip and the lens are the only true upgrades. Also the dedicated AE compensation dial, is more of an luxury then an upgrade (Nice, I may add). But still not worth be selling my G9 and smacking a few more dollars down. Unless DIGIC 4 is really that much better over DIGIC 3?

Of course, I guess now we're running the danger of experiencing some kind of multi-core myth eventually, but people have come to understand that megahertz isn't everything.

I feel that is already happening, all my friends brag about cores. More then they do the other qualifications of the processor.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
First, anyone crying that the whole industry should be exposed and people should be informed that more MP doesn't equal quality needs to get out more. This is an argument that I can safely say has been voiced for well over 5 years industry wide. That said, you'd have to be a complete goon to think that somehow a 14 MP P&S is going to produce images with acceptable noise without some in-camera post processing.

You can't be serious. Yes, those of us who would post on an internet photography forum have known for years about the reality of mexapixels, but your average consumer clearly does not, which is why the marketing scheme works and is perpetuating the problem. It was just over a year ago that the New York Times published an article about it, clearly venturing into the realm of controversy.

If you haven't heard anyone use megapixels "as a handy one-digit comparison score" (to borrow a phrase from the NYT), then perhaps it is you who needs to get out more.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
On another note, now is the time to buy a G9 if you don't have one yet.
I am definitely going to pricegrabber.com in the next couple of weeks to try and score a nice deal on the "obsolete" G9.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
I am definitely going to pricegrabber.com in the next couple of weeks to try and score a nice deal on the "obsolete" G9.

Very well worth the money, perfect P&S camera. Also if you are use to carrying a DSLR, the G9 will feel tiny in your hands.

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
You can't be serious. Yes, those of us who would post on an internet photography forum have known for years about the reality of mexapixels, but your average consumer clearly does not, which is why the marketing scheme works and is perpetuating the problem. It was just over a year ago that the New York Times published an article about it, clearly venturing into the realm of controversy.
Shame it was such a poor test, as it completely ignored the problem that we are commenting on here, that increasing the resolution on smaller chips makes the image noticably worse. All the pictures were produced on good cameras and either cropped to size or down-resed.
So although it tried to tackle issue, it did so in a completely meaningless way.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Shame it was such a poor test, as it completely ignored the problem that we are commenting on here, that increasing the resolution on smaller chips makes the image noticably worse. All the pictures were produced on good cameras and either cropped to size or down-resed.
So although it tried to tackle issue, it did so in a completely meaningless way.

Yup, which really goes to prove the point: people by and large are not informed about the quality issues regarding megapixels.

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
The megapixel myth has started filtering down past the best informed camera buyers....but slooooowly.

at least 90% of consumers looking for a camera will let pixel count into their top one or two factors...but some folks are starting to look at other things. I get a lot of 'what camera should i buy for...' questions, and a few people have recently impressed me with their understanding of megapixels being largely marketing-driven...

I'll admit I enjoy telling people that if you don't crop your photos and don't print past 4x6" they'll never see a difference above 2 megapixels.

I then have to explain that I print 20x30" regularly and therefore do have some use for higher pixel counts.

baby steps...baby steps.

EDIT: I'll also note that the G10 would be a better camera with a sharp 6 megapixel sensor with decent ISO800 noise, but it does seem to be an improvement due to the 28mm wide end and nicer grip...it's very hard to get a wide end on a compact camera these days...the Nikon 14-24mm is just a smiiiiiidge tough to carry around when hiking and such...

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
So anybody know if the G10 will be worth the money?

I don't want to make the same mistake as with my Lumix DMC-FX150 (14.7MP) that i just returned today. It was totally noisy and ****** raw quality.

Could the G10 spot better sensors that is better in quality with this higher MP-count?

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
So anybody know if the G10 will be worth the money?

I don't want to make the same mistake as with my Lumix DMC-FX150 (14.7MP) that i just returned today. It was totally noisy and ****** raw quality.

Could the G10 spot better sensors that is better in quality with this higher MP-count?

I still say stand with the G9...

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Critical mass and alternative products...

The question of "when will this end" is a fantastic one. The answer is probably never.

I disagree. Although mps will always increase to some level each year, I think there can be an end to companies focusing on increasing mps to market their products. I just cannot see it continuing in the longterm.

There has to be a ‘critical-mass’ if adding more mps onto the same size-sensor really does degrade the image. Those seasonal compact consumers will enventually click by being able to compare their photos to previous models to get to their own truths through experience.

A big question is: will you switch to support those companies that have already ended the focus on ‘just increasing megapixels’? If you want the change to happen quicker, you should stop funding those companies that are still stuck in the old paradigm (and that includes buying a cheap G9). Look at the Panasonic Lumix LX3 instead. This camera has stuck with 10mp rather than matching the 13-15mp of the Nikons and Canons. What P&S user needs 15mp anyway? I use a DSLR and I don’t even need 15mp!

atort13

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
And why would the new Canon G10 be a waste of money and "ludicrous"?? Why, because you do not understand how people would benefit from such a camera so therefore it must be no good? That makes a ton of sense. The G9 is indeed the PRO point and shoot that working professionals carry around with them and even Annie Leibowitz carries with one wherever she goes and am sure she would agree that the new G10 is a big improvement with a wider angle lens, higher MP count regardless of people not understanding why photographers would want that, and an overall better camera. Many pros do print larger prints even from their G9's and now G10's and many submit to big stock agencies such as Getty and Corbis and they have very high standards in regards to files and file quality. People should stop for a second and think outside their little box and understand that just because you cannot find a reason to justify buying it MANY do and will. The norm of people I know shooting all shoot anywhere from 21MP to 39MP cameras and backs and that is the norm in the circle of photographers I am around so 15MP is really still nowhere near a big deal and NOT ludicrous at all and not a joke! The larger MP cameras and backs are not for bragging rights, but for having the best possible file to work with when retouching, printing, and delivering to big clients knowing they get the biggest bang for their buck.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
And why would the new Canon G10 be a waste of money and "ludicrous"?? Why, because you do not understand how people would benefit from such a camera so therefore it must be no good? That makes a ton of sense. The G9 is indeed the PRO point and shoot that working professionals carry around with them and even Annie Leibowitz carries with one wherever she goes and am sure she would agree that the new G10 is a big improvement with a wider angle lens, higher MP count regardless of people not understanding why photographers would want that, and an overall better camera. Many pros do print larger prints even from their G9's and now G10's and many submit to big stock agencies such as Getty and Corbis and they have very high standards in regards to files and file quality. People should stop for a second and think outside their little box and understand that just because you cannot find a reason to justify buying it MANY do and will. The norm of people I know shooting all shoot anywhere from 21MP to 39MP cameras and backs and that is the norm in the circle of photographers I am around so 15MP is really still nowhere near a big deal and NOT ludicrous at all and not a joke! The larger MP cameras and backs are not for bragging rights, but for having the best possible file to work with when retouching, printing, and delivering to big clients knowing they get the biggest bang for their buck.

You've pretty obviously missed the whole point of this discussion. You might find it worthwhile to go do some reading on diffraction and how it applies to sensor/photosite size.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Get Richard Franiec's custom grip for the G9:

http://kleptography.com/rf/

grip-angle.jpg

It's inexpensive and literally makes your camera feel like it should have from day one.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Completely agree - I picked up a G9 for £300 (G10 will be £440) and it is a superb P+S camera to use when my D200 would be too big to carry around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.