Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my Panasonic TZ1 which has served me exceedingly well over the last 4 years and have been looking at the Canon Powershot G11.

I generally take landscape photos, occasional family shots and have been fiddling around with macro and black & white conversions via SilverFX Pro in Aperture.

I really feel like something with a bit more oomph in the image quality department.

I can get the camera pretty cheap from work (A$700 vs. A$900 retail) which takes it a decent distance price-wise away from the entry-level DSLRs.

Can anyone think of any competitors in this range that I should also check out?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3.

I've checked out the S90 - the difference between it and the G11 is about $A25 which I think makes the G11 the choice.

The LX3 is definitely a contender however I've tried it and really found the short zoom wanting. I know, I know, get closer to the source but sometimes that extra reach really helps.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I'd love a DSLR but they are much more than the $700 - $750 I'm willing to spend.

I've ordered the G11.

I see that you're in Australia, and I don't know the price converts at all, but where I am the G11 is $499 and the Rebel XS DSLR is $569, so here that's only a $70 difference. The XS is Canon's entry level DSLR, obviously, but a capable DSLR for amateurs and hobbyists alike. I know this because I've recently been doing a lot of research and am just about to get one actually. I was looking at the G11 but for the price difference, it makes a lot of sense for me to get the XS and have lens options among other features. Just throwing around some ideas for ya, I know you already ordered the G11 but it might be something to look into.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
I see that you're in Australia, and I don't know the price converts at all, but where I am the G11 is $499 and the Rebel XS DSLR is $569, so here that's only a $70 difference. The XS is Canon's entry level DSLR, obviously, but a capable DSLR for amateurs and hobbyists alike. I know this because I've recently been doing a lot of research and am just about to get one actually. I was looking at the G11 but for the price difference, it makes a lot of sense for me to get the XS and have lens options among other features. Just throwing around some ideas for ya, I know you already ordered the G11 but it might be something to look into.

Yeah, at the price I can get the G11 for, it's A$250 between it and say the Canon 1000D.

I really wanted more of a travel camera, something simple where I don't need to fiddle around with lenses and bags and stuff. Something that if I need to snap off a pic I can do it in less than a second and get a decent result.

I'll get a nice DSLR or one of the micro 4/3 cameras in a year or so to go with this one but for now I needed simple, good and reliable.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Yeah, at the price I can get the G11 for, it's A$250 between it and say the Canon 1000D.

I really wanted more of a travel camera, something simple where I don't need to fiddle around with lenses and bags and stuff. Something that if I need to snap off a pic I can do it in less than a second and get a decent result.

I'll get a nice DSLR or one of the micro 4/3 cameras in a year or so to go with this one but for now I needed simple, good and reliable.

Hmm...I grabbed an S90 just because I didn't need the hotshoe. Also, I wanted the faster aperture at the wide end and ultra compact size. Otherwise, they're both very comparable cameras. The S90 is basically a baby G11. ;)

I think even an entry line DSLR like the Canon Rebel XS/1000D could be considered a travel camera, due to its light weight. DSLRs are also good due to wider coverage vs point and shoot's 4:3 ratio. Some cameras come with a wide screen crop, but basically it just strips the top and bottom off to make it wide.

If it were me, I'd choose an entry line DSLR vs a high-end point and shoot. :p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hmm...I grabbed an S90 just because I didn't need the hotshoe. Also, I wanted the faster aperture at the wide end and ultra compact size. Otherwise, they're both very comparable cameras. The S90 is basically a baby G11. ;)

I think even an entry line DSLR like the Canon Rebel XS/1000D could be considered a travel camera, due to its light weight. DSLRs are also good due to wider coverage vs point and shoot's 4:3 ratio. Some cameras come with a wide screen crop, but basically it just strips the top and bottom off to make it wide.

If it were me, I'd choose an entry line DSLR vs a high-end point and shoot. :p

See, I don't want an entry level DSLR. I wanted a high end point and shoot and then a high end DSLR as an arty camera.

Even a small DSLR is bigger and more cumbersome than this. I was surprised at how small and light the G11 was. I will be travelling with this and I travel light so I didn't want to be taking a body, multiple lenses, power adapter and a bunch of other accessories.

This is my quick-fire second camera (primary until I get myself a high end DSLR like whatever replaces the 7D in a year or so) to serve my needs of decent to pretty good image quality with a bit more flexibility.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
See, I don't want an entry level DSLR. I wanted a high end point and shoot and then a high end DSLR as an arty camera.

Even a small DSLR is bigger and more cumbersome than this. I was surprised at how small and light the G11 was. I will be travelling with this and I travel light so I didn't want to be taking a body, multiple lenses, power adapter and a bunch of other accessories.

This is my quick-fire second camera (primary until I get myself a high end DSLR like whatever replaces the 7D in a year or so) to serve my needs of decent to pretty good image quality with a bit more flexibility.

I guess, but I have a 7D + 5D Mark II as my main rig. S90 is for when I'm too lazy to carry around my juggernauts. I'm planning on grabbing a t1i eventually as well, just because I like the smaller DSLR size.

BTW, speaking of entry line cameras, they're pretty much as good as their high-end counterparts. They're just missing some key features, like advanced auto-focus systems, high mega-pixel, full-frame, etc. Image quality wise, worlds better than point and shoots. It's all about the lens and lighting. Body is only secondary. And most of all, the photographer produces the quality photos. :)

I found out that even though I got the S90 as a compact travel camera, that I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. So I'm using it as a lazy camera now. :rolleyes:

I'm really picky about photography in general, which is why I always carry the juggernauts around with lenses + accessories, so I can take quality photos of awesome locations. It's possible to take quality photos with point and shoots, just not on the same level as SLRs, period. ;)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I would love a G11 to compliment my 20D. Sometimes you just don´t bother to bring along the SLR. As they say: "The best camera is the one you have with you".
Go for the G11, it´s a bit bulkier than the S90 though, I think the size is really the only thing that speaks for the S90 (and the wider aperture maybe)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would love a G11 to compliment my 20D. Sometimes you just don´t bother to bring along the SLR. As they say: "The best camera is the one you have with you".
Go for the G11, it´s a bit bulkier than the S90 though, I think the size is really the only thing that speaks for the S90 (and the wider aperture maybe)

I was in Chicago last year and lugged around my D300 and such. It was nice, I love the quality of the camera but was jealous that a buddy had a G9. It would have been nice to just have a "pocket" cam. I know the G11 isn't pocket, but it is when you lug around a D300 rig. My G9 has become a staple in my lineup.

OP you made a very good decision with the G11.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i have had an interesting history with cameras (all Canon).
I had a 30D for a long time, sold that because i was racking up too many miles on my car, traveling many miles to take photos.

I then ended up buying a G9 several years later (had a samsung P&S in between), thinking it would suit me well. Now, it is a great camera, but it is limited, if you are trying to use the G as a replacement SLR.

I sold that to buy an XSi. I dont mind lugging around gear, if it does what i need it to. I have been interested in that new Nikon P&S that has a touch screen LCD..

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If I were buying a P&S today, it'd be the S90 simply because of the portability. The G9/G10/G11 are not pocket cameras by any stretch of the imagination (okay, maybe big jacket pockets). I realize they're a lot smaller than my D700, but they don't seem like "grab and go" cameras. However I do agree they are very good P&S cameras.

If I wanted something in the G9/G10/G11 size range, I'd probably get one of the new m4/3 cameras instead to take advantage of the significantly larger sensor.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Personally, I think the G11 is a great choice for the OP's expressed needs. Yes, entry-level DSLRs aren't that much more in terms of cost, but they really are harder to lug around, especially when lenses are factored in. And for a small-sensor camera, the picture quality has been greatly exceeding expectations, including in low light. I don't mean to suggest that it is equal in photo quality to a DSLR, but it's good enough that the tradeoff will be worth it to many. I know of one very famous fashion photographer who carries a G10 as his go-anywhere camera, and the G11 is better still.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
There is a lot to be said for a quality P&S that you actually carry with you, a truly pocketable one. When you move up to the bigger ones, then will you really take it with you and are you going to miss that opportunity shot?

If you simply want a lighter and less obtrusive camera, but with the highest quality, then a 4/3 makes more sense than a big P&S, especially if it will be your only camera.

So, to me the best choice for most people is either a 4/3, or a truly pocketable P&S and DSLR combo.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I went to see the G11 at the shop yesterday...

Not for me, and I have yet to see a decent photo from it...

Can't justify a camera more expensive than my Olympus E-420, an awesome take-with dSLR with a much better sensor...

Wake me up when the Canon G series has at least a 4/3 or larger sensor in it... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.