Canon G12

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paratel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Does anyone what an experience with this camera? Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Looking to get a new camera but do not wasnt the size of a DLSR. I have had the powershot SX130 and 150 but it takes forever for the flash to recharge and you have to manually raise the flash on those. The last point and shoot I had that I really liked was my Canon AiS650.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have no experience with the g12 (sadly) however that and the S100 are some of the best P&S's you can get right now. The G12 is the flagship P&S for Canon with the S100 being second. The G12 is bulkier than the S100 however it's still quite portable and definitely smaller than a DSLR. The G12 has a f/2.8 - f/4.5 aperture which is ok. The S100 has a slightly better one at f/2. Personally, I like the swivel screens as my T3i has one. Some people hate 'em. If it were me I'd probably get the S100 but, then again, I have a DSLR. I think the G12 should be a great P&S for ya. Not sure how helpful this was.

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Well the G12 is an advanced point and shoot. It has the dials on it for shutter speed and aperture. It is obviously bulkier than a typical point and shoot and thats really the only way it lacks (as point and shoots go). If you want a camera that you will carry around with you all the time, get the S95 or S100. The G12 can be a lot more fun to use as you dont have to fiddle with menus as much due to the dials, but might not be on your person so much.

The battery life in the G12 is really extraordinary.

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think the G12 is great...I've looked at them a few times. I almost bought one over the summer for my wife when we were in Japan. Then I read a lot online, and people were expecting the G13 to be a huge upgrade, and suspected it to come out in September 2011. Still no word from Canon about this (maybe do to the earthquake/tsunami).

I was thinking of getting the G12 for her for xmas, but I am going to be pissed if the G13 is a big upgrade and comes out soon after.

5. Somepix macrumors member

Somepix

I used a G12 all summer on a road-trip across the continent. It's a great cam, all the manual control you can dream of, but... it's a P&S : due to the small sensor, images lack dynamic range. (For example, skins look "flat".)

If I would lose all my gear, I would replace it with an iPhone 4 and a APS-C, let's say a D5100 + 35/1.8 and 18-70.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have one and I'm very happy with it. Being a P&S, i.e., tiny sensor, the images tend have a level of noise that I was not use too because of my Nikon dslr. I really don't notice a huge level of noise when I resized the images for printing or web publishing. I also clean up some using Topaz Labs Denoise.

What I absolutely hate on the camera, is its flash, it tends to produce an overly harsh result or unflattering images. To that point I never use it, and for indoor shots I clean up the pictures with DeNoise because the camera boosts the ISO so high to compensate for the lack of lighting.

I'm personally looking at the Nikon V1 and Sony NEX-5N as a replacement, as I want a faster performing camera that produces a cleaner image.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

As for cameras, I have stuck with Canon (3 cameras) and Nikon (1) in the last 10 years or so. I had a Sony Camera and it broke twice. My sister got a mid-grade Sony that broke too.

There is a reason why many Japanese won't even buy Sony products, the so called "sony timer".

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If I was buying right now I'd go for the Fuji X10 over the G12. It's got a bigger sensor, can do hardware pixel binning to give it better dynamic range or higher sensitivity and looks simply amazing. The G12 is a little long in the tooth now and due a replacement in the next short while. It was introduced in Sep 2010 so things have moved on a bit since then...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have zero experience with sony, and I've always stuck with Nikon and Canon personally. This is the first time I'm considering it because as I mentioned in another thread, on paper the sony has some great specifications with one exception. AF, it uses contrast with only 25 points, where as the Nikon uses phase detection in good lighting conditions and 135 points in contrast in poor lighting conditions.

Thanks for the opinions on sony though :)

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Well that Sony has great reviews, I personally would think about getting the extended warranty if I got a Sony.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With two 6 year old kids, who like to touch my stuff, an extended warranty that includes accidental damage is a must in my life at the moment :D

12. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I like the new 4/3 mirrorless cameras. I'm looking at the Olympus Ep3. I have a G10 and I really like it, but the interchangeable lenses, the fastest ever auto focusing that Olympus offers in the E-p3 and Epl3. Is amazing... It's a little smaller than the g12... Not by much though.