Canon G1X Mark I - first gen

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JoeRito, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Just wondering if any of our photographers have had experience with the Canon Powershot G1X first gen and can offer a few comments/comparisons of its IQ? Looking at picking up a used one to take on a fun trip. I usually shoot with a Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless or various advanced compacts like LX100, G15, Nikon P7700 etc.

I dont mind its size or slow speed, but love the idea of a 1.5” sensor.
    Thanks

2. someoldguy macrumors 65816

I've got one, picked it up shortly after it was introduced . Picked it up as a second camera for when I travel . Outside from the fact that the viewfinder sucks big time , its a really nice little camera . Takes surprisingly decent video ,Still shooting is OK up to 1600 or a bit more before it starts to get noisy . The optics seem to be real good , probably better than the Canon kit lens of that time . Figure 3 stops IS . Battery life 250-300 shots . You really need to focus off the rear screen , I only use the viewfinder if its really bright sunlight that washes out the screen . Shoots RAW (CR2) or JPEG . Lots of adjustments , took me a few weeks to find settings that I could live with and then I left everything alone . Invariable you'll lost the lens cap . At least I did . I went and got the filter adapter Canon makes for the camera and permanently mounted it to the lens via the camera's bayonet mount . This allows a standard 58 mm cap , plus has screw thread for 58mm filters . Here's some samples ...
    IMG_11281024.jpg

incliffpalace812c.jpg
    kilns11024.jpg

Hope this helps

3. JoeRito thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Truly a comprehensive reply! I’m grateful. Nice images as well and thanks for the lens comment.

4. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-