Canon G9/Imagebrowser in Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cattytown, Nov 22, 2011.

1. cattytown macrumors newbie

Hi All, pleas be gentle with me - I am a MAC newbie (MBP 15") after many years of Windows!

I have a canon G9 and am trying to get it to play nicely.

After much searching I found installers and updaters for ImageBrowser that get me to 6.7.2.18(8L) and am running Lion. The install disc that came with the camera does not sem very happy under Lion!

I have hit the update a few times to try to make sure I am as up to date as possible.

My problem is that when I plug the camera in I get a camera not found message from ImageBrowser/camerawindow. That rather suggests the system sees the camera and knows to pass it to the Canon SW, but the Canon SW has a problem talking to the camera.

iPhoto can see the camera OK and see photos on it.

Would anyone be able to give me a few pointers on figuring this out?

Thanks,
    Paul.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This Mac user learned long ago that manufacturer-supplied applications and utilities tend to suck. Why use them? By your admission, iPhoto works. I assume that other third-party applications like GraphicConverter and Adobe Photoshop Elements work as well. The stuff that manufacturers supply on the CDs in the box is just so much waste of precious hard drive space.

3. cattytown thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto works in that it will talk to the camera, but to a newbie it looks like the pics just disappear into iPhoto, and I need to put them on an external share.

The Windows version has a nice touch in that it knows what has previously been transferred, so I plug the camera in and hit "transfer untransferred images" which then neatly puts them in date folders.

I was hoping to get a similar level of convenience from the MAC version.

ImageCapture is better for me than iPhoto, in that it seems to just put copied images into a folder, job done.

I am just lazy!
    Paul.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Different strokes for different folks. However, iPhoto will transfer only those files that iPhoto has not transferred previously. Also, iPhoto gives you the option of transferring files to its iPhoto Library bundle or to any folder of your choice. It is my understanding that iPhoto uses ImageCapture to transfer files. My dispute is not with ImageCapture. My dispute is with manufacturer supplied software because it so often sucks.

The added value of iPhoto is that it provides a simple environment in which you can manage your photographs and in which you can perform surprising sophisticated edits.

5. cattytown thread starter macrumors newbie

The untransferred bit is interesting - I might take another look at it. I didn't see an option to put files somewhere else.

I did see some of the editing options, but could not see any way of saving files from iPhoto.

P.