Canon GL1 worth buying?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kamera RAWr, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I posted in here awhile ago talking about wanting to get into documentary film making. I came across a Canon GL1 in our local free classifieds for $1,000 and going to meet the seller and take a look at it tomorrow. Is this a good deal? I realize they have a GL2 now, but this still worth buying? I'm curious about anyone with some practical experience with it. How's the picture quality? Any helpful information would be great :)

2. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

i would find out how old the Camera is, I have mine 7 or 8 years at least and it still works fine but you could buy a new camera for $1000.
    Granted it wouldn't have the lenses that the GL1 does but ccds must have improved in that time I would think.
    Check out a video forum and ask on there, I would think for $1000 or a little more you could buy a camera that would kick the Gl1 to the curb and it would be new but, who knows?

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I personally think that for $1000, getting something like the Canon HV20 would be better. You lose the three CCD's, but you get HD and 24p.

P-Worm

4. sigamy macrumors 65816

The GL1, while very old, is still a good prosumer standard def camera. It will yield better video than most, if not all, consumer cams.

But, for $1000 there are better options. As the other poster said, there is the Canon HV20, or look at some of the Sony HDV cams.

If you can get this seller down to $750 it is a much better deal. Check ebay and craigslist for more prices.

The Panny GS400/GS500 is probably one of the only consumer cams that comes close to the GL1/GL2 so if you are looking for a good SD cam those are options.

5. neut macrumors 68000

neut

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless it is in very good shape and includes a nice assortment of accessories that's a bit steep of a price for such an old camera. And always remember to be diligent when buying used video gear because you never know how it's been treated and it can be very expensive to get fixed.

Because that site is a complete rip-off/scam waiting to happen. It's grey market crap that will permanently be on back-order unless you buy the junk they try to up sell you over the phone.

0.26/10 lifetime rating on ResellerRatings.com

Lethal

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I bought a refurbished GL2 off a reputable seller, B&H Photo Video, for ~$1600. It's ok for what I payed, but I'm a little disappointed with the low light performance. I've been thinking of getting an HV20, but it doesn't look that great either. Spend more and get something better, unless you're just playing around, in which case you can spend less or just a little more for something better.

Or just buy it cheaper: http://photography.search.ebay.com/...trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ23781

8. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

I agree with P-worm, if you have just $1,000 to spend look seriously at the HV20. Some serious indie shooters are pimping it out and making some great images. I'm currently debating myself whether to go that route or to bite the bullet on the HVX200. I own a GL-2, and while it has a great lens and turns out some very nice colors, I just can't recommend anyone spend any amount of money on a new camera (or used) that isn't 24p. Also, the GL's sometimes have their play heads go bad which costs $500 to fix. This has happened to me, and while researching the problem, it looks like I'm not the only one.

On the flip side, I just shot something with a PD-170 (i know, no 24p, so sue me :p) and to my eyes the image and color didn't compare to the Canons, although it did have a little better low light capability.

Also, realize, if you're using this for Doc work, you need an attachment to do good audio with XLR cables, the camera has no inputs for those itself. The DVX100 and the Sony's do however.

9. Kamera RAWr thread starter macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Thank you all for your responses. After looking at the camera, looking around online and some careful consideration.. I've decided not to buy this camera. I think I'd be better off saving a little more money and buying something newer :)

10. seany916 macrumors 6502

For $1000, get a new camera.

HV20 isn't bad, but lighting is really important. In lower light, it's better than other 1-chips, but it still sucks in comparison to 3-chips.

Don't buy a used camera unless you're forced to by budget. Electronics are delicate and many people don't take very good care of them properly (storage and transport).