Canon GL2 and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pbiehl, Jun 19, 2008.

1. pbiehl macrumors newbie

I am interested in this camcorder but read this review on the applestore website. I have a MacBook Pro and wanted to make sure that the camcorder works with it. Many thanks for your advise. Peter

Here is the review "this product (Canon GL-2) has a serious incompatibility with the MacBook Pro!! Beware! You cannot capture video from this camera t…Read moreo a FireWire hard drive with the MacBook Pro if the camera and hard disk are both connected to the MacBook Pro's internal FireWire ports!! It's a MAJOR BUG in the drivers that has existed for at least two years!"

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You can capture with the GL2 in FCP; many people are doing so. However, you should be aware of the following:

° Canon's rather loose adherence to the Firewire standard can cause problems. They often don't play nice with other Firewire devices sharing the same Firewire bus. One solution is to purchase a Firewire Express cardbus for the slot in the side of your MacBook Pro. This will create a second Firewire bus in your Mac. Another possible workaround is to daisy chain the Firewire drive and the camera. Connect the camera to the drive, then the drive your your Mac (works most of the time).

° In FCP, device control must be set to Firewire basic (again, this is due to Canon's implementation of the Firewire standard.

-DH

3. pbiehl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Hi DH,
    This very good news indeed. Thanks a lot for your advise. I will purchase a Firewire Express cardbus.

All the best,
    Peter

4. pbiehl thread starter macrumors newbie

LaCie FireWire 400 PCI Card?

Hi again,

Any experience with the LaCie FireWire 400 PCI Card? I suppose this is the kind of card you mentioned. Thanks!

Peter