Canon HD camcorder horrible audio. Normal or defective?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mjmar, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I recently purchased a refurbished Canon HG10 and was very happy until I put the first video clips onto my MacBook and the audio had a horrible hissing noise in the background. Also, I could hear the HDD and the auto focus noises in the audio. I understand that consumer camcorders don't exactly have the best audio quality, but this is beyond that. I'm wondering if I should return it or swap it for another one. If anyone has an HG10 and can comment on the audio that'd be great.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

hissing/humming or just a hiss?
    have you tried an external mic with it?

4. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

It's more of a strong static sound now that I listen more closely... It could be normal because it's not anything "weird" exactly.... it just sounds like the gain on the mic is way too strong. I was expecting better of a camera in this price range. My standard definition JVC has much better audio.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Common complaint with the Canon's. External/directional mic set up from the body resolves issue.

6. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Most, if not all of the consumer level camcorders have AGC circuitry enabled (Auto Gain) with NO way to disable it. Pretty pitiful S/N as well.

Not sure what your input options are, I'm not familiar with the camera....but as others have mentioned, an external mic will help, albeit still a bit crippled by AGC. Not being familiar with the camera, there may be a way to shut it down. You'd have to check....

To have total control of your sound, capture it on an external recorder, IE Zoom H4n, Tascam DR-1/100, Marantz, Sony, etc all make SD handheld audio recorders....some with very high quality sound. Also, XLR jacks and 4 channel recording makes them extremely flexible and discreet.

Unfortunately, audio can make or break your film...as I'm sure is obvious to you. As well...one must spend over $3-4k* at this time to bypass AGC and have manual, in-camera control of his/her audio. Secondary system recording is definitely essential for decent audio control with your current rig....this is definitely not a BAD thing...in fact, it's common place in real world filmmaking. Gives you a chance to learn alot as well!

J

*Price for a camera with XLR and in camera audio control, EG...EX-1, HVX/HPX, XH-A, etc.