Canon HF 10 will not appear on desktop

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Berit Moller, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Berit Moller macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have just bought a canon HF 10 camera and it will not show up on the desk top of my MBP after installing the software that came with the camera. How do I get the Mac to see the HF 10?
    Berit

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Are you connecting through Firewire 400, Firewire 800, of USB?

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

There's no need to install Canon's software: in fact, you might even be better off without it. iMovie '08 should detect the camcorder when it's connected by USB (or when you eject the memory card and use a USB card reader). Check the instructions in your manual, but once connected you should see a "NO NAME" drive mounted on your desktop. If you then open iMovie '08, it should detect the mounted camera and open the clip import pane.

Andrew.

4. gpeden macrumors regular

The camera needs to be powered by the AC adapter - one of the reasons that I use a card reader instead.

Cheers!

Glen

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Haha. What a silly mistake, I've had my fair share of those.

6. Berit Moller thread starter macrumors newbie

Ups!

Hi Guys
    I am so embarrased - I sholud have known - I am dealing with a Mac. Got it to work. But can't open the files which are mts files. Have ordered Final Cut Express to do the editing on. It is said to be able to open mts files. Certainly hope that is true. Thanks for the help. I need a bit of that to get started - or back on track. Used to make a lot of videos, but that was in the old days when you had tapes and very expensive editing suites. So I guess I'll be back :)
    Berit

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

On FileInfo.net, it says that Final Cut Pro opens .mts files but doesn't say anything about Express. .mts is a file extension for AVCHD. I am 90% sure that FCE can open an AVCHD file so .mts should be supported.

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Only if you have the entire AVCHD folder structure to hand (on the camcorder connected by USB, a USB card reader, or mounted disk image). FCE4 won't be doing with individual .mts files.

9. Berit Moller thread starter macrumors newbie

Super

Sounds like FCE does the trik provided I get everything off the camera in the right order. Thanks everyone. Apple shiped PCE today. Looking forward to working with it :D
    Going to Peru next week and plan to make nice videos there!
    Berit

10. Berit Moller thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally up and running

Hi All
    I thought you might want to hear about my troubles :)
    I purched FCE and got it running but had problems when I tried to select the clips that I wanted. I had no problems seeing the clips from the camera in the browser window, but couldn't move them to my project. I tried everything. Looking through different questions and answers on the internet I came across a very brief answer: go to top hand corner of browser window and click: menu choose empty cache. Just for the fun of it since nothing else worked I tried - and vupti: it worked. So my problem was a full cache. Hope this info can help others in similar situations.