Canon HG-10 vs Canon 60D

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by downingp, Jan 28, 2011.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I currently have a canon 40D and a Canon HG-10 video camera which I haven't been overly impressed with the picture quality, especially in low light situations. I was thinking about selling both the canon 40D and HG-10 and getting the 60D for still pictures and video. Will I be happy with this setup? I have read quite a bit about the downfalls of DSLR cameras as video cameras, but would mainly be using the 60D as a camera first with the occasional video of my kids.
    Another option I was thinking about is would it be as simple as getting an external light source to attach to the HG-10 to get better picture quality?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

2. platypusrex256 macrumors newbie

What do you not like about the 40D?

I'm guessing the HG-10 does not work well in low light?

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I absolutely love the 40D and wouldn't have any reason to upgrade if it also did video. The problem I have is the canon HG-10 and recording indoors, especially in low light situations. It is very grainy and doesn't even come close to looking HD.

4. platypusrex256 macrumors newbie

From what I read, the 60D looks like a great camera who wants something more than the T2i but can't really afford the 7D. If you want to take pictures and shoot video, it would certainly be a better solution than buying an external light source for the HG-10.

You don't really want that frontal flashlight look, do you?

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I'd wait till Magic Lantern comes out for the 60D.

The T2i is pretty much the same camera just in a cheaper plastic shell and no flip screen.

But the t2i is cheaper and magic lantern is working.

6. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

t2i +1

with the price diff, you can get a battery grip, extra batteries and a canon f1.8 50mm lens. :D

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems as though the consensus is the 60D or T2i would produce a better image than my HG-10 then?

8. jwheeler macrumors regular

Yep. I have the 60D an it's great. Don't get the t2i if you already have the 40D. Its big downgrade, whereas the 60D is only a downgrade in terms of build material and continuous shooting mode, but an upgrade or the same in every other way.

Oh keep any lenses you have :) Just buy the body :)

I wouldn't get the 7D because it will almost definitely never ever get magic lantern. Whereas t2i, (60D almost) and 5D all have it already.

9. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a 50mm f/1.4 and a kit lens 28-135 that came with the 40D. Is there much of a difference between the 28-135 and 18-135 that comes with the 60D?

10. jwheeler macrumors regular

50mm 1.4! nice! As for the kit lenses. You'd have to read reviews. But the 18-135 is wider, but can zoom in just as far.

All i can say is read research and read some more.

11. duotone macrumors newbie

I was torn on whether to get the t2i or the 7D. I'm very glad I went with the 7D, but that's because I shoot in very dirty conditions and I travel a lot.

The 7D is a magic machine and worth every penny. I mainly shoot video at 1080p and the image quality is amazing!

It really depends on what you're shooting, what your goals are and conditions of the environment.

People say the t2i is the same as the 7D, but I will say not. But that's not saying the t2i is a cheap camera. If you're on a budget I'd suggest the t2i, some tamron glass, an indieslider and good tripod. Then git'er done!

Just remember, the mechanics can't take the place of the person behind the camera. I've seen great stuff from cheap setups, and crappy stuff from top of the line setups.

just say'n

12. duotone macrumors newbie

PS: I have the 18-135 kit lens and it's a great and versatile lens. I also have the nifty fifty, 300mm and a sigma 70-200 / 2.8 and will soon have a tamron 18-50 / f2.8

13. FroColin macrumors regular

It's a big downgrade?? That's... Kind of ridiculous. The t2i and 60D have the same sensor, same noise performance, and heck the body is made from the same material. If by big downgrade you mean that it doesn't have a screen on the top then yes, your right.... But that and slower burst and the screen that flips out (Yes the metering is a bit different and the 60D has a slightly better focusing system) is just about it. The t2i is going to be almost the same amount better then your 40D.
    I can't stress this enough, LENES, that's what makes your picture. I would even say go with the t2i vs the 7D and get some nice glass (unless you have some specific reason why you need the better body or faster burst mode or the 1080 HDMI out when recording). Grab a good prime. You already have the 50 1.4 (I have it as well. Love it) and a versatile lens so get something wide or a long one. Whatever you want but you will be happier with a better lens then a better camera if you really just want to take good photos/video
    There are pro photographers using 10D and 20D and they still can cause they spend their money on glass.

14. jwheeler macrumors regular

The 60D has better weatherproofing, I use that screen on top all the time. Its really useful. Same with the flip out screen. You also have to remember that canon left other features out of the firmware of the t2i that are in 60d because they are evil like that. But the additional features are kinda specific to specific people. I'm one of those weird people that it fitted perfectly for.

But yes glass is the most important bit. And if you stick with canon, you keep it forever, pretty much. I'm using my dad's 30yr old primes with adaptors (although they're not the best :( )