Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Projectmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Here are the specs:

Intel Mac (2.2 Core 2) with 2GB SDRAM. Running OS X 10.5.1
iMovie 08 7.1.1
Canon HG10 Cam

I am shooting in the HXP mode (highest resolution). The camera captures at 1920 x 1080i but Ive been told it really is 1440 x 1080i when its exported.

I bring it into iMovie at the largest possible size option, which is FULL - 1920 x 1080. (However it says "this setting has no effect for MPEG2" - which I believe this is?)

In any event, when I go to re-export the movie using Quicktime option, it lists the current size as 960 x 540.

I can get in and change the export size to 1440 x 1080i 16:9, but that seems like an added step. Shouldnt the video already be imported at 1920 or 1440 x 1080?

Does anyone know if I am missing a step here, or how the numbers should add up.

(Also, if anyone has the HG10, any advice on best settings?)

THANKS!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Here are the specs:

Intel Mac (2.2 Core 2) with 2GB SDRAM. Running OS X 10.5.1
iMovie 08 7.1.1
Canon HG10 Cam

I am shooting in the HXP mode (highest resolution). The camera captures at 1920 x 1080i but Ive been told it really is 1440 x 1080i when its exported.

I bring it into iMovie at the largest possible size option, which is FULL - 1920 x 1080. (However it says "this setting has no effect for MPEG2" - which I believe this is?)

In any event, when I go to re-export the movie using Quicktime option, it lists the current size as 960 x 540.

I can get in and change the export size to 1440 x 1080i 16:9, but that seems like an added step. Shouldnt the video already be imported at 1920 or 1440 x 1080?

Does anyone know if I am missing a step here, or how the numbers should add up.

(Also, if anyone has the HG10, any advice on best settings?)

THANKS!

I'll give you what I know (or at least what I think I know).

Your HG10 shoots in 1920x1080i. The 1440x1080i in iMovie is referring to HDV footage which is 1440x1080i. HDV is MPEG-2 ... AVCHD is h264.

As for exporting the footage, 960x540 is one of the default export resolution. You can change to the "expert" settings and set the resolution to whatever you want. You should be able to get 1920x1080, unless you imported in reduced resolution (which you said that you haven't).

Try the Expert export settigs and go from there.

ft

Projectmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Thanks

Cool - I was thinking it was something like that. The one thing that leaves me a bit suspicious is the following:

When I go to re-export the movie using Quicktime option, it lists the current size as 960 x 540.

Im thinking that means that the full video is starting at 960? But I definitely brought it in at the highest level.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
When I go to re-export the movie using Quicktime option, it lists the current size as 960 x 540.

Im thinking that means that the full video is starting at 960? But I definitely brought it in at the highest level.

I just checked my iMovie and when I tried the Export to Quicktime Movie option, it too said that the "current" resolution was 960x540. I think that is telling you what the export resolution is set at, not what the video is at (because my video is DV 720x480 and it still says 960x540). Does that make sense?

If you're still unconvinced, find your clip in the Finder and play it with Quicktime Player. While playing the clip, do a "Get Info" and it should tell you what the resolution is.

ft

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
If memory serves (the new iMovie won't run on my eMac, so I can't check for you right now), one of the new features of iMovie is that you can run in psuedo HD mode, where all of your editing / importing is done at a lower resolution - probably the resolution you're talking about right now. That particular resolution is a decent compromise between quality and file size. There should be an options somewhere in preferences to work with the full resolution file, but it'll slow things down a bit (I'd imagine), and take up a bunch more hard drive space.

But right now, I'd be willing to bet that you *are* editing at that reduced resolution, and need to change the preference to import at the correct resolution instead.

y2guru

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Help!!!

Well you guys seem to be able to import from the HG10 to Mac Mini, however I cannot :-(

I used iMovie HD and the camera is connected and I get a message saying that the camera is not connected when attempting to import

How on Earth did you get the import process to work?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Well you guys seem to be able to import from the HG10 to Mac Mini, however I cannot :-(

I used iMovie HD and the camera is connected and I get a message saying that the camera is not connected when attempting to import

How on Earth did you get the import process to work?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave
You need iMovie'08 (not iMovieHD) and an Intel Mac.

Also, I've read some threads that indicate that you have to format the HG10 prior to using it.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.