Canon HG10 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by babsvii, May 12, 2009.

1. babsvii macrumors regular

babsvii

I bought a canon hg10 and took a bunch of videos with it but the videos are mts. and they wont play on my new iMac. is there anyone who has this camera who can tell me what steps i need to take to get these videos to play... i downloaded some free converter and converted a couple of the videos so that they would open in quick time. but there has to be a better way of doing this i shouldnt have to convert every video i make... shouldnt it be as easy as plugging in the video camcorder to the computer and importing the videos somewhere where they will work with out having to fool around with them?.... when i plug in my digital camera the pictures import easily why cant it be the same with the video camera?

help pls!

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Have you tried using iMovie?

This will automatically find the camera and you will be able to import them.

Or if you want to import at full HD then you might want to invest in final cut express.

Hope this helps!

3. babsvii thread starter macrumors regular

babsvii

i have imovie 09 but when i plug the camera in nothing happens and then if i go up to file and import it just goes to photo booth... its not finding the camera... and then there is another import from... and if i go to that and find it manually it wont let me import any of the .mts files they are all grayed out.... i really dont know what to do here... i downloaded a free program to convert the files but it doesnt let me do big files only small ones. and that just seems like so much work... i think it really should be easier then that no?

4. pigbat macrumors regular

I had some issues with iMovie seeing my camera and ended up rebooting the iMac just to see if that helped. It has recognized it every time since then.

5. jjjcoop23 macrumors newbie

I have the same camcorder.

I have no problems at all.

I record video- plug in the camcorder to a power source, hook it up to my macbook, and then open Imovie 09, it downloads all the video, and i choose from there.

no big deal at all.

6. jjjcoop23 macrumors newbie

hey-- did you follow the setup directions on the camcorder>?

i set it up by the book and havent had a problem...

7. babsvii thread starter macrumors regular

babsvii

i have read the book over. im pretty sure i have done everything i was suppsoed to. wasnt all i had to do is charge the battery and start using... there is a disk to install some stuff but for mac its not really anything that i would use. i have been reading something on the internet from other ppl about initializing the dirve? should i have done this? would this make it work?...

and to the guy who rebooted the imac, do u mean reformatting it and starting all over again?... i really dont want to do that.

last night i just installed the software for the camera on bootcamp. its fine using that but i would prefer to use it in imovie... thats one of the reasons i got the computer.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I haven't upgraded to iMovie 09 yet, but my HG10 works okay with iMovie 08. The camera is a hard drive, but video does not work in a simple manner like pictures. You can't just plug it in and drag and drop your video content like you can with images. The video must be converted through iMovie or another conversion program. This gives you control over file size because you can select the quality of the imported conversion. I'm not sure why your computer will not recognize your camera. Try some basic trouble shooting stuff first, like restarting the computer. Then work in a step by step manner. First see if the computer itself will recognize the camera as a drive. If so then you know it's not a hardware problem. If you can see the hard drive on your desktop then try opening iMovie and see if the program will recognize the camera. If recognized then you should be able to use the import menu to select your settings and start bringing your video over. Tell us a little bit about your computer set up and that may give additional clues. However, since I don't use iMovie 09 my ability to help will be limited. Best of luck.

9. babsvii thread starter macrumors regular

babsvii

my computer does see the camcorder as a drive... but when i open up imove nothing... is there something that i should have done with the camcorder in its menu before using it?... now that i have my movies imported on my windows side i think i will try that initializing disk thing... see if that maybe works... since i have seen a few other ppl saying that they did that then their computer recognized their camera, but i just dont see what that would have to do with anything as it just repaires the disk fragments to something. i dunno ill try fooling around with it when i get home from work... there has to be something i am missing.

10. babsvii thread starter macrumors regular

babsvii

just wanted to say that initializing the disk worked... my imac is importing my movies flawlessly!! thank god!

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Glad it worked out. Enjoy. I think the HG10 is a solid camera. It has been great for my needs to say the least.

12. mokachino macrumors newbie

hg10 problems

ive read through some of the posts and I think they will help me transport my video files from my hg10 camcorder to my mac book pro. I have trouble doing so but Im hoping after reading some posts I will be able to do it without loosing my videos, but I have a lot of important videos that I cannot afford to loose, is there anyway I can back up these videos before I trying using imovie 09 or I do have final cut express as well..
    Please help:(

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm not entirely sure as I've never tried this, but if you can get your computer to recognize the camera as a drive then I assume you could use any kind of drive management program like Carbon Copy Cloner or something similar to make a copy of the drive onto an external disk. This would back up your files. However, if something went wrong then I'm not sure about copying the files back onto the camera drive. I'm just brainstorming here, but that would be the first thing I would try.

14. mokachino macrumors newbie

So frustuated

I have tried transfering my videos using imovie 09 from my hg10 and nothing happens.. I restart the computer while the camera is on..It seems ive tried everything, the camera is recognized on the macbook screen, the camera has the transfer signal flashing on the camera screen , yet I cannot see any videos to be able to transfer on the imovie screen.. why..:confused:
    I have final cut express on my older G5 , I cant use that to transfer because it doesnt havea intel processor..I tried transfering (all different issue)the final cut on a memory styx and the macbook wont recognize it.