canon HG10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sugscott, Feb 28, 2010.

1. sugscott macrumors newbie

Hi there everybody, hope you can help me here!

Im doing a A level film course, and have left it a bit late in the day. I borrowed my friends camera (the one in question) because it was high def, and I thought this would be useful in my film.

However I have hit problems now I want to put my film onto my computer from my camera. I have both adobe premier and the new imovie on my computer upstairs, but both of them wouldn't import files from the camera, saying that they were not supported, or in the case of imovie that the camera just wasn't there.

I tried on the computer downstairs, which has the imovieHD (2006 I think) and that just imported thumbnail pictures to imovie.

To make matters worse, on my computer imovie now doesn't seem to be working. Every time that I try and load it up, it opens for a fraction of a second and then closes. There isn't anything I can do to stop it from doing this.

Please please help, i really need to get this done soon. :mad:

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I don't think iMovie HD supports AVCHD, which is what the HG10 records in. You need iMovie '08 or '09, or Final Cut Express or Pro, which will convert the AVCHD files to AIC or ProRes for editing.

You may be able to use something like Voltaic to transcode the clips into something that iMovie HD can use, but someone more familiar with the software will have to chime in.