Canon 'Historic Global Announcement' - Nov 3rd

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by firestarter, Sep 16, 2011.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

This looks very exciting!

Mirrorless cameras from Canon?

[​IMG]

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Canonrumors speculates that it may have something to do with video photography. Hollywood being the tip off.

3. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yep, a very likely tie-in.

There's rumours that the next Canon Pro DSLR might shoot 4k video.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Elimination of the 1D/1Ds split into a single photo 1D (full frame) and some sort of video oriented DSLR (maybe the 5D MkIII)?

5. stevendphoto macrumors member

I've been hoping for a variable camera from canon, able to shoot Full-Frame, 1.3 crop and 1.7 crop, that would be historic, the 5D mkIII would just be business as usual...

6. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Why? Can't you just crop in post?

Memory cards are cheap these days...

7. fpnc macrumors 68000

I think you may have just unmasked the "Historic Global Announcement." Such a move would be a pretty major development, probably worthy of that tagline. However, it it is just another 4K camera (i.e. not a traditional form-factor DSLR) then I'd have to say that Canon marketing is in over-hype mode.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Wonder Camera? Other than the fact there's no way they have that ready by now, that's the only thing I can think of that would be this big.

9. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

They're announcing that the next Transformers movie will be shot entirely with a single Powershot G13

10. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Definitely looks film related: "The Story Begins", "Hollywood" and the film like graphics stand out to me.

11. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Maybe Canon have developed a new technology that adds narrative, character development and subtlety to Michael Bay movies. :eek:

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Such a camera might offer FF at 6fps, APS-H at 8fps and APS-C at 10fps providing an all in one camera for sports, portraits, landscape, journalism, etc.

LOL :D

13. tinman0 macrumors regular

14. stevendphoto macrumors member

Oooh, how about the capibilty to wirelesssly transmit your photos directly from the Camera to an Ipad/ipod/iphone...

15. racketeer71 macrumors regular

*yawn*

16. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

I'm gonna assume you all have heard of the lytro camera, but for those that don't know, its a camera that lets you focus your pictures after you took them, This is probably not true, but maybe they licensed the technology from lytro to put it into one of there cameras. food for thought.

17. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

I hope not. The lytro demos weren't very impressive... and I can't see much point to the technology.

18. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Doubt it, I think it's more the competition.

The heat on the RedUser forum seems to suggest that Red is going to outdo canon in every feature with the scarlet.

This is a snippet from a small UK site dedicated to these sort of cameras and broadcast productions and is a supposed list of specs to expect:

“They will be badged as EOS, despite the fact they are video cameras, and there will be two versions – one for EF lenses, the other with an PL mount. I’m guessing here but the PL mount camera may offer more options than the EF version – e.g. SDI out and genlock… etc in the same way that the XF300/305 cameras have differentiated themselves.

“Its a Super35 4K sensor, but from what I have seen only records 1080 in-camera, using the same XF codec – i.e. 4:2:2 @ 50mbps. Perhaps the PL version will output 4K thru SDI?

“The size of the camera looks similar to that of the FS100, but more rounded/ergonomic. It has a similar LCD screen on top, but it seems more flexible – i.e. allowing for greater viewing angle/for versatility.

“This could be a killer camera, and one well worth waiting for if any of you guys are thinking of buying a F3/FS100 or AF100…”

19. firestarter, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

^^^ I saw that Canon rumour on a few of the rumour sites yesterday. Seems like a possibility.

Well, Red followers have always been rabid fanboys, even though Red's ability to deliver in recent years has been noticeably lacking.

I trust Philip Bloom in his brief summary of the scarlet:

It's the big sensors and low depth of field that have fuelled the DSLR movie making craze... if Canon have a significant new full frame 4k announcement on the 3rd then Red might find that it's 'bringing a knife to a gun fight'.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Even if they did, the plot would still lack substance.

21. Keleko macrumors 68000

EOS Utility update that supports Lion. Nothing else would be historic enough. :D

22. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

OT post -
    firestarter; how'd you figure out to post YouTube videos here like that?
    (viewable in the post itself)
    when I quote to see your code I can't make it work....

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Take a look at the available codes. Specifically the youtube one.