Canon HV-20 questions?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bloodycape, Nov 7, 2007.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Could someone tell me where the lowest price on this camera is?

I see these places are selling it a fairly low prices but I don't know how legit these places are. They seem too good to be true. http://www.cameraaddict.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=3610714&l=ShopCartUSA
    http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=764200
    http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=902378

I personally don't care if it is an open box item or refurbished, as long as there is nothing physically and mechanically wrong with it, that is fine with me. I just want the best price on this item. Thank you.

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

They're all bad news. Check seller reviews on sites like epinions.com or cnet.com. Essentially, all of these sites that come and go are based out of some sketchy lot in Brooklyn, and actually send out about 8% of all items ordered from them.

Just go through BH... they've got a pretty good price right now.

3. ga1lyons macrumors newbie

I have a deal that will be better or at least as good as those three companies. Send your money to me.
    No i dont have a camera for sell but i will give you as good of a service and quality of merchandise as they will.

Likely they dont have a camera either.

4. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

so besides B&H what other places have a good deal on this camera?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

6. jolton macrumors member

I actually purchased mine on ebay.

Find a seller with good feedback, and pay with a credit card so you have protection.

7. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I too purchased mine from ebay... I recommend checking out HV20.com for further info on where to buy.

8. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Is $640 for an open box Canon HV10 with a warranty from Fry's electronic worth it?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The HV10 isn't very good IMO. Especially compared to the HV20. It's not worth it.

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

What exactly is wrong with the HV10? 24P is a relatively useless feature that the average user will like, but not understand... so what makes the HV20 so much better?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For one, the quality is better. You also get more features, as well as a hot shoe on the HV20. But the main feature is handling. The HV10 is uncomfortable to hold IMO.

12. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

I would love the HV20 but the price is more than I want to spend, and I actually like the size of the HV10. Plus with the warranty they said I can upgrade to HV20 since they don't carry this item any more and that is the closest item to it, spec wise.

13. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

So I am going for the HV10 as it fits my wallet. So what should I be looking at, getting prepared for, and such? What is the best miniDV tape you recomend I be purchasing?

14. prs986 macrumors regular

If I'm correct, the HV10 is HDD not MiniDV. Meaning, it uses a hard drive to store footage.

15. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I think you are incorrect.

16. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

17. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

In my research i have found several high reviews for Panasonic PQ series tapes... I haven't purchased any yet, but others seem to really like them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240021-REG/Panasonic_AYDVM63PQ_AY_DVM63PQ_63_Minute_Mini.html

The one other bit of advice is that the "MiniDV HD" tapes is nothing but marketing.. in digital tape, the HD stands for 'sucker'.
    :)

18. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

19. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I will say for the Panny tapes, they are well worth it :D I used only one, every day for 14 days, then viewed the tape every day. No dropped frames or any odd looking anomalies with all the rewinding and viewing. I'm sure other tapes of good/high quality can hold up as well but I've used only the Panasonic from day one.
    I can't comment on the HD part as I don't have a HD camcorder as of yet (working on that as well) so good luck but also do a search about the tapes or call the local college and see what the video depts. are using and how they like them. I got the tape info from my college then looked around and made my choice which has worked well thus far (knock on wood) ;)

21. jolton macrumors member

I can. The HD marketing on dv tapes definitely stands for "sucker". Pay no mind to it.

22. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, I use only Panny MQ tapes in my XHA1 to record HDV. Works great, every time. And you can get them for around $6 from BH.

23. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

MY understanding is that the difference between MQ and PQ series tapes is the type of lunbricant on the tape... PQ uses a dry lubricant will MQ uses a wet. I think. :p

The other thing I've read is that switching between tape types, dry to wet lubricant, can gum up the heads and cause problems.

Do your own research, obviously I'm no expert. :)

24. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

To the best of my knowledge, all Panny tapes are dry lube only. Either way, this is why I stick with only one brand/model, as should everyone concerned with video head longevity.

25. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

One final question. I should be fine importing video using firewire400 port? Because I have the CD MBP with out the 800 port.