Canon i860 in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by britabroad, Sep 18, 2009.

1. britabroad macrumors member

britabroad

I've downloaded the updated drivers for my Canon i860 printer, and now it won't print in text mode - only in full color. Anyone else have this problem?

2. britabroad thread starter macrumors member

britabroad

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I doubt very many people are using an i860. For what it's worth, I'm using the Canon i960 with OS 10.6.1 and it works fine. Have you tried rebooting?

4. britabroad thread starter macrumors member

britabroad

Yes, macbook pro been on and off many times since it started happening. i can select text in the print box, but it still prints in color. where did you get your new drivers from?

5. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I didn't have to download any new drivers--I'm using whatever was installed when I installed 10.6 (upgrade, not clean install).

6. britabroad thread starter macrumors member

britabroad

Finally got a reply from Canon on this. After much jumping through hoops and troubleshooting, finally got this email: "text mode does not work with OSX 10.6 ." So now in the market for a new printer: anyone got a recommendation? Especially one with reasonably priced third party inks.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I have the i860 but not familiar with "text mode", what is it exactly? I guess I wouldn't have noticed that the feature was missing in SL. :eek:

8. britabroad thread starter macrumors member

britabroad

Text mode is simply b&w printing - uses less ink. It's one of the drop down menus in the print dialogue box.

9. samv macrumors newbie

Canon Drivers, etc.

After upgrading to Snow Leopard neither of my printers worked even with the included drivers. The Canon i960 driver did not work, however after much trial and error I found that the i860 Gutenprint version worked just fine. I also have an old Epson Color Stylus Pro that was not listed. Using the Epson Color Stylus Series driver brought that printer back to life.

Hope this helps someone.

Sam

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I bought my MBP with SL. Is there no solution to printing on either a Canon i860 or MX860 I have two printers with no way to print on either unless I email it to my PC, which the printer is connected to. My other laptop, which is on Vista had no problems printing in the network.