Canon i960

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ronaldinho, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Ronaldinho macrumors newbie

Ronaldinho

Ok I have had this problem since I bought my computer (1 year ago) It's the only real nagging issue I have had since switching over to mac. I have the Canon i960 photo printer and I would LOVE to be able to printer over the network. However it seems the network drivers for this printer just don't exist, and by searching google with this question. I usually run into websites that "claim" to have the solution but of course you have to pay. I have also been told you can buy the drivers from some sites example (www.printfab.net) However, I am not going to pay for drivers...

If you need the complete question, I posted on the apple website a couple months ago. My username in the thread below is The Virus.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1223694&tstart=0

This is probably my last time asking this question as it's seems to be just like beating a dead horse. Thank you for any information.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Please pardon my ignorance if I have this completely wrong but I have the Japanese version of the same exact printer as yours. Here in Japan it is called the Pixus 960i but it is the same machine and uses the same drivers.

I print to this printer over my home network with no problems whatsoever using the standard Canon drivers and Bonjour. I only have one Mac though and the other computers on the home LAN are my kid's Windows machines.

If I have completely misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish then my apologies.

3. Ronaldinho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ronaldinho

I just tried to install bonjour on windows and the printer set up utility didn't find my printer that is connected to that computer via usb. I can print to the printer from my mac, but since the right driver isn't being used, (or listed) the size of the page I printed is all messed up. The canon drivers from canons website, only work for when the printer is connected via usb to the Mac.

Maybe I did something wrong setting up Bonjour on windows, but I just installed it and ran the utility and nothing showed up as stated before. Thanks.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I would carefully go through the documentation and installation procedure included with Bonjour for Windows. It has been quite some time since I installed it on my kid's machines but as I recall I also had some initial difficulties getting it up and running.

It works fine now though. I think you need make sure that printer sharing is enabled on your Mac too.

Good luck.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

If you have the latest version of Gutenprint installed, you can try some printer model (drivers) that are closer to yours, like the i865.

6. Ronaldinho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ronaldinho

Ya, I just tried those drivers you recommended, as they printed a little better. However still not to a useable print. I guess I can hope in future releases of gutenprint they'll include i960.

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I would personally much rather share the actual proper drivers for my printer than mess around with some freeware drivers for a "similar" model but that's just me.

Regarding the use of Bonjour here are some tips:

1/ On the Mac open System Preferences, go to Print and Fax and enable sharing on your printer.

2/ On the PC, verify that the Mac's IP address is cleared as friendly through any firewall software you may have running.

3/ Install Bonjour for Windows on the PC.

4/ On the Mac, turn on the printer - VERY important. It won't work if the printer isn't on.

5/ On the PC, run the Bonjour Printer Wizard. A shortcut will be placed on the desktop by the Bonjour for Windows installer. A window should open and there will be your printer ready for use. OK the preselected driver type (generic/postscript) and that will do it. Windows will install the printer driver and VOILA, the printer is networked.

6/ On the PC, Go to the Start Menu, select Printers and Fax and there is your printer, ready for use.

As I said I have the exact same printer model as yours and it works fine in Bonjour from both Windows machines on my home network, one Vista and one XP.

8. Ronaldinho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ronaldinho

Wait, do you have your printer connected to your mac? Then sharing that over to your windows computer? If that is the case, I can do that and that works, however that isn't what I am trying to do. I want to leave the printer connected to the PC that is already connected to via USB. As it isn't my printer to move around, plus I wouldn't benefit from having the printer having to be attached to my laptop everytime I wanted to print.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, sorry that is my setup here with the printer attached to the Mac. I did indeed think you were looking to do the same. My apologies as Bonjour is indeed for sharing a printer from the Mac side.

I saw your thread on the Apple Discussions forum. Have you seen this thread over there? http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5942038&tstart=0

I didn't see you post to it. In that thread someone recommends this as well:

http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/

Good luck.

10. redondobch805 macrumors newbie

same problem

I was just reviewing this thread and I have the same problem trying to print to my windows attached i960 from my new imac. I spent a couple of days on this and finally called apple support. After talking to level 2 we concluded that the latest Canon driver still does not properly support mac printing over a windows network.

I also tried using similar (865 & 860) drivers but the results are not usable.

The level 2 apple support person suggested I contact Canon. I'm not thinking Canon is really excited about developing 960 drivers as the printer is several years old now.

I'd love to be able to use my i960 with the imac but I'll probably have to get another printer just for the mac.