Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igator210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Trying to compile a list of what new software I need when I upgrade to Snow Leopard and Canon ImageBrowser is that last piece.

Anyone know if Version 6.3.1.12 (7L) works under Snow Leopard? I emailed Canon directly but their blanket response was "At this time we do not have any information available regarding support for Canon software on this new version of the Mac operating system. I recommend checking back periodically for updates."

The Snow Leopard Wiki compatibility site doesn't list it yet.

Nate

Tangled Web

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Canon's Image Browser has been WRONG for the past couple of years.

Edit Note, I am not sure exactly what is going on. I do believe the Canon import function is set too dark, however, once inputed, I was able to use Image Browser to get what I wanted. I found myself having to adjust the tone curve of virtually every picture I took with my canon camera. Why? I believe it is because Canon was using zero black when the camera is uploading to the computer which almost crushes the lower end of the gray scale.

I say "almost crushing the lower end of the gray scale because I could re-tone curve that images to get an acceptable image. In retrosptect, I probably DID NOT NEED re-tone curve those image if Canon had not used zero black concepts versus 7.5 IRE black levels.

Not only can I not input images to image browser since I switched to snow leopard, but if I work on already imported pictures and add text, the picture darkens the moment I save the file.

Tangled Web

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
CameraWindow-part of ImageBrowser doesn't work correctly on 10.6, but ImageBrowser is running fine for me on 10.6.

Please try the following experiment.

Take a picture file, add text, then as you save the picture file after adding text, watch the screen closely, at the moment the file is actually saved, it may darken.

Mine does.

I've been to the genius bar. They confirm the darkening.

When I hit save after adding text, the newly saved image is darker than the image without the text. This might indicate that the saved file is defaulting to Canon's INCORRECT method of how they hold reproduce their own picture files.

They can't both be right, either Apple or Canon has made a mistake, at first I thought it was APPLE, but now I am pretty certain it is Canon that has been wrong all along. I base this on the fact that any picture I upload from Canon MUST have the tone curve adjusted upward to bring back detail in the darker parts of the image.

Please let us know if you get the same darkening result when you add text to a picture and then save it.

Tangled Web

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
The first image, first row, on the left, is how the image appears when first uploaded. The second picture in the first row, to the right of the untouched image, is after the Tone curve has been used to adjust the image. The third picture, the one in the second row, has the text added, and you can see how the image darkened as compared to the second image on the first row, (on the right, the one that had the tone curve applied.)

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0280-TC.jpg
    IMG_0280-TC.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0280-TC-TXT.jpg
    IMG_0280-TC-TXT.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 79

Tangled Web

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Original image should not be so dark...

I am of the opinion that the original image is not really as dark as it appears when imported into the computer.

Why does the image redarkens when I add text to it.
The MacGenius person explained that Snow Leopard is using 2.2 instead of 1.8 as the gamma? default setting.

Rather than being in separate layers, somehow the text channel and the image channel are intertwined in Snow Leopard when it comes to using the Canon Image Browser software application. I am assuming that i-Work is ok and does do the same thing.

I would love for a Canon or Mac rep to explain the issue here and perhaps let us know if a fix is going to be offered.

jpb123

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
ImageBrowser for Snow Leopard.

I had a PowerShot SD960 IS

I just downloaded the latest version of Canon ImageBrowser for Snow Leopard, tested it, and it works. CameraWindow is different and has more options but more importantly, it works. Here is a direct link: Copy/Paste into window.

javascript:gotoDetail('0200106314EN',%20'ibx-upd-6-5-0a-10-u01-8l.dmg.gz')

Go to bottom of page, click "I agree-Begin download" Follow setup directions.

If that doesn't work go to this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=222&modelid=17624#DownloadDetailAct

Select your OS (Mac OS X)

This is what you want:

ImageBrowser 6.5.0a Updater (Mac OS 10.4-10.6)
ibx-upd-6-5-0a-10-u01-8l.dmg.gz

File Version
6.5.0a

File Size
66.00 MB

Post Date
03/05/2010

History
Changes for ImageBrowser 6.5.0a;
1. It is now compatible with Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard).

You are welcome.
...JPB123

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.