Canon ImageClass v. Xerox WorkCentre

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by southerndoc, Sep 16, 2008.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Does anyone have any opinions of either? I'm wanting a printer that's capable of copying and functioning as a fax machine.

Ideally I would like 1200 dpi, but it appears neither offers that.

Was curious about:

- which is quieter,
    - which is faster,
    - which is more reliable,
    - which is more Mac compatible (especially USB connection through an AEBS)

Thanks!

2. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have experience with both Canon and Xerox. I love both. That is not the problem. The problem is that you asked a very open-ended question--somewhat akin to asking which vehicle is better, Ford or General Motors. The Canon ImageClass is a family of personal copiers. The Xerox WorkCentre is a family of AOIs. You need to be more specific. Which specific models are you considering? What are you trying to do? How do you want to do it? Choose the model which best fits your needs. You won't have to worry about reliability whether you choose Canon or Xerox.

While you are thinking, let me give you this bit of advice. Go with a networkable model with built-in PostScript. This will allow you to access your printer from any computer running any OS. It also future-proofs you. USB works best when attached to a computer. A USB connection will require new drivers if you move to a new operating system.

4. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I'm wanting something fast (30ppm or so), high resolution (1200dpi), with automatic duplexing (both printing as well as copying).

Right now I have an hp LaserJet 2200dse, a Xerox WorkCentre copier (no fax) that's about 8 years old, and an hp OfficeJet for a fax. I want to consolidate things into one.

The models I'm looking at are:

Canon ImageClass 7460
    Xerox WorkCentre 4260

These are for home business use as well as personal use.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! Home business and personal use, you say? The least expensive Canon in the ImageClass 7460 family is $2000. The least expensive Xerox in the WorkCentre 4260 family is $3000. If you are willing to throw money around like this, then you might consider helping out our banks.

I think that you need to seriously reconsider what you need. People buy multi-function devices to save money. Neither of these devices will save money for you. You can have a Xerox Phaser 8560/DN solid-ink color printer (30 ppm) for less than $900 or a Phaser 6360/DN color laser printer (42 ppm) for less than $1350. Either printer features genuine PostScript Level 3 and is fully networkable--even featuring Bonjour. Throw in an ImageCLASS MF6590 ($800) or an ImageCLASS MF6595 ($1000) for your copying, faxing, and scanning needs. Either ImageCLASS can also serve as a printer in a pinch. Small copiers you say? A nearby Office Depot put a Canon ImageCLASS MF680 (like mine) on the line in its copy center. I've got you two devices including a much better printer, equipped you better than 99.99% of home offices, and saved you hundreds of dollars in the bargain.

6. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Actually I'm not buying it to save money as I already have all 3 (albeit a crappy fax machine). I'm doing it to consolidate everything into one device for space reasons.

I need something that prints fast as I often print very large documents.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The models that you are considering are not small. Either can handle the work of your entire neighborhood. They are also fairly large free-standing devices--particularly for the home. The devices that I referred you to are much smaller, offer more flexibility in location, quickly print high-quality documents, fax as well, scan as well, and cost less money. I don't know about the maintenance schedule for the WorkCentre size MFCs, but they will require visits to your home. I prefer to take devices to the shop. If you have a large device, then that will not be an option.

8. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I think I'm going to go with the Xerox M20i. I'm wanting something with higher resolution, and I think the 1200 dpi interpolated resolution will be good enough (even if it is interpolated).

I really like how crisp my hp LaserJet 2200 prints, so here's hoping the M20i will print just as crisp. (I can tell a difference between 1200 dpi from my printer and 600 dpi from my copier when I use it to print directly from my computer, but I doubt I will tell the difference in an interpolated resolution.)

Thanks for all your help.