Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbo007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Valencia, Spain
Hello all,

New to MAC OS X so excuse my ignorance.

I have a Canon Ixus 500 and a iBook G4 and I need to know if there is a faster way to get my photos off the camera other than importing them into iphoto? Takes soooo long and I don't like the way it does it.

Is there no way it can come up as a drive in Finder and then I can manually copy them to my hard disk?

Cheers,

Rob

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Not sure about that one.

I didn't think other programs were any faster, so I never complained about importing in iPhoto. I don't like iPhoto too much, but I haven't tried iPhoto 5. But yeah, try Image Capture or the software that comes with your camera.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
I have an IXUS 500, and I don't feel the speed too bad when importing into iPhoto. Unfortunately for the iBook users who don't have a PCI port in their computers, you have to transfer through USB only. I have and use the PCI adaptor and input into the side of my computer, and it works flawlessly and quickly. I find the USB slow, and avoid using it at all lenghts, but there are some times when I need to use USB.

There is no other way of getting photos off the CF card, unless you use USB.

nikyzf

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
Northampton, UK
robbo007 said:
Hello all,

New to MAC OS X so excuse my ignorance.

I have a Canon Ixus 500 and a iBook G4 and I need to know if there is a faster way to get my photos off the camera other than importing them into iphoto? Takes soooo long and I don't like the way it does it.

Is there no way it can come up as a drive in Finder and then I can manually copy them to my hard disk?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

USB card readers are common and cheap. Put the CF card in the reader, connect the reader, and your iBook will see the card as an external drive. You can then choose to copy the files using Finder. Get a USB 2.0 reader for future compatibility. For ultimate speed, the Sandisk Firewire CF reader is the one to go for, but how much speed do you need?

A card reader is also recommended for saving your camera's battery power!

HTH

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
crap freakboy said:
I got the Ixus but one model down from yours, I have to agree iPhoto is sluggish. Always used iviewmedia photo apps and deals with any media file I've thrown at it, give them a try.
I have the same model as you, the S400, and didn't think twice about the speed... until acquired a card reader from my stepfather - not often he gives things away!

Long story short, it's much faster. Doesn't say it's USB2, either, so perhaps it's an issue with the camera's USB interface?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.