Canon Kit Lense?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bunit, Sep 26, 2011.

1. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I started getting into photography about a little over a month ago and have a quick question. It's not a big deal, more of a curiosity, but I purchased a Canon EOS 30D from a good friend who is a photographer. She told me she was going to give me the kit lens that came with it. Before I picked it up I did some research on the setup, and from what I found, the kit lens should be the 18-55mm lens. When I picked up the camera, it had a EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 lens! Was this offered as a kit lens through Canon also, or did she just give me (what I feel to be) a better lens?

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

nice lens!

A nice upgrade from a "kit" lens... run with it.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah be happier with that lens. Nice little bonus. Both are good but the 17-85 is a bit better than the normal kit lens.

4. Xeperu macrumors 6502

I've seen stores offer the 17-85 as a "kit lens". It's a decent lens, but not much better than the original 18-55 kit lens. I don't like large zoom ranged, but that's just me.

5. bunit thread starter macrumors regular

bunit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for your input! I've messed around with a few other lenses, but for me, this one has been a great all around lens for me. I do want to get a new lens, not sure what I want yet! But don't worry, I'll do a search when it comes time! Don't want to get attached by the "Forum Nazi's" lol, just jpoint!

6. Dwee8le macrumors member

I think that the 18-55 (IS or non-IS) where kit-lenses for the xxxD and 1xxxD series. They more expensive models like the xxD usually have the 17-85mm. I think the 7D can even be bought with the superior 15-85mm.

17-85mm is not a bad start :)

7. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I don't think canon offers a 15-85 kit with the 7D, I am pretty sure that if you find one that would be a special offered by the camera shop of the 7D body with the 15-85 lens packaged with a special deal on the prices of the two. (Some online stores do this, they package lenses with bodies so you can get a lot of different lenses with a new body)

Regardless, the 17-85 was an option with the 30D at the time. (this camera is a bit older, the kit lenses have varied over the years, also it is a higher tier of camera than the rebel models)