Canon launches C300 cinema camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lone Deranger, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Canon launches C300 cinema camera, prepares to take on Red Scarlet and Arri Alexa

Well, we have to hand it to Canon -- this was one tight-lipped product launch. The imaging company just unveiled its C300 cinema camera at Hollywood's Paramount Studios, in front of a crowd of hundreds of journalists and film industry elite, including Martin Scorsese. Canon is no stranger to the professional photography community, but it has yet to make a name for itself in Hollywood, where cameras such as the Arri Alexa and RED EPIC dominate the digital filmmaking world. The C300 may not appear to be overwhelmingly powerful on paper -- stock features include an EF or PL mount (not both), 1080p capture, a pair of CF card slots, timecode and HD-SDI output -- but judging by the sample films we saw today, its incredibly powerful sensor and versatile form factor are likely to play a more significant role in making this camera a success.

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Good! Competition is good! (although standardization is even better, and I don't like the look of these connectors...)

I still get asked to work in 35mm almost everytime, though...

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

What connectors are you talking about? I didn't really see anything mentioned on the links posted.

What might be of even more interest to people who frequent this forum, is the confirmation of Canon developing a Cinema DSLR. Full frame, 4k, Motion-JPEG compression. That's sounding pretty awesome so far.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Things like remote run, power connectors for wireless focus/iris/zoom motors...

5. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

What's fake? This was announced.

7. kokako macrumors regular

Looks amazing, Red is great too but I love Canon so I'll probably go a c300, or maybe the Cinema DSLR they announced too, don't think it was given a model number.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Uh no..doing a simple google search should reveal it is in fact NOT april fools day. Sorry.

Apparently it shoots in 4k and down samples to 1080p with some fancy pixel system...dunno the details but it looks cool. I love Canon but looking at the C300 I would rather get the RED Scarlet for 15k with a 5" touch screen...Canon better start ******** tiffany cufflinks or RED is going to stomp all over them.